DX Application Performance Management

Expand all | Collapse all

A single instance of SDM is raising two agents

• 1.  A single instance of SDM is raising two agents

Posted Dec 19, 2016 09:38 AM
      |   view attached

When you install the APM Agent for CA Service Desk monitoring, two agents appear. How to solve?

• 2.  Re: A single instance of SDM is raising two agents

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Dec 19, 2016 09:53 AM

Hi Antonio,

If you expand both nodes I would say one of them has no metrics. Please check below TEC DOC and see whether it helps resolve this issue:

"%1 added at the end of the Agent Name"

https://www.ca.com/us/services-support/ca-support/ca-support-online/knowledge-base-articles.TEC1546308.html

Thanks

Jose

• 3.  Re: A single instance of SDM is raising two agents

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Dec 19, 2016 09:56 AM

It is as Jose suggests, or the app does in fact spin up two instances of the application. It is probably the former.

• 4.  Re: A single instance of SDM is raising two agents

Posted Dec 19, 2016 10:05 AM
    In fact, both agents have metrics. In addition, they are metrics with different data. That is, it is not just an agent replication. I have already made some attempts, such as: Remove agentName; Disable the change detector.  This behavior makes the monitoring unfeasible, I'm not sure which agent is reporting relevant data.  Forgive bad English! =)

• 5.  Re: A single instance of SDM is raising two agents

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Dec 19, 2016 10:01 AM

Hi Antonio:

Let us know if the suggestions given resolve the dual agent issue or if it persists

Thanks

Hal German

• 6.  Re: A single instance of SDM is raising two agents

Posted Dec 19, 2016 10:02 AM
    Hi guys.
    In fact, both agents have metrics. In addition, they are metrics with different data. That is, it is not just an agent replication. I have already made some attempts, such as: Remove agentName; Disable the change detector.  This behavior makes the monitoring unfeasible, I'm not sure which agent is reporting relevant data.  Forgive bad English! =)

• 7.  Re: A single instance of SDM is raising two agents

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Dec 19, 2016 10:19 AM

Hi,

If they are different agents you could try specifying a custom agent name for each instance in the app startup script (or agent profile) to distinguish both agents.

Thanks

Jose

• 8.  Re: A single instance of SDM is raising two agents

Posted Dec 19, 2016 10:40 AM

José, thanks for the reply. I know how to define a name for each agent. The problem is that it is just an agent, just a startup file. However, when he gets up, two agents stand up. And I do not know where that second agent comes from. If I rename the agent, the two will be renamed. You got it?

Antonio

• 9.  Re: A single instance of SDM is raising two agents

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Dec 19, 2016 10:52 AM

Yes, according to your notes it is the same agent but it is reporting different data for each node.

Could it be possible you are pointing to two agent.jar or two agent profiles in the app startup script?

Thanks

Jose

• 10.  Re: A single instance of SDM is raising two agents

Posted Dec 19, 2016 12:09 PM

José,

Also I veirifiquei this. But no, that's not the problem. What amazes me is that an earlier version of SDM did not present this problem. Which leads me to create something that has been changed in the SDM framework.

Antonio

• 11.  Re: A single instance of SDM is raising two agents

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Dec 19, 2016 01:23 PM

It sounds like the startup script of the application is spawning off two processes, each harnessing the agent startup parameters.  Can you verify this on the application server?