Clarity

• 1.  Where is a calculated field stored?

Posted Dec 20, 2016 03:30 PM

If I create a calculated field, for example a date that is calculated off of multiple other dates, where is it located in the Database? It is my understanding that aggregated attributes are stored in a view called ODF_PROJECT_V2, but I'm having trouble figuring out the calculated field location.

An additional question - is there any documentation on the views in the database at all?

Thanks!

• 2.  Re: Where is a calculated field stored?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Dec 20, 2016 03:42 PM

Virtual column: Columns whose data is not computed when the query is created (i.e. the data is created in realtime).
    Virtual field: A field to which CA Clarity PPM can make calls but that does not physically exist in CA Clarity PPM. It may be a calculated field, or a field with temporary values generated by CA Clarity PPM as needed. You cannot access a virtual field because it does not physically exist.

Virtual attributes are not listed in the table because they do not represent actual data in the database. URL (link attributes) also do not appear because they are simply links to other pages.

We do have technical reference guide you can find this in our documentation site 

Example for 14.2 : Technical Reference - CA PPM - 14.2 - CA Technologies Documentation 

Hope this helps

Regards

Suman Pramanik 

• 3.  Re: Where is a calculated field stored?

Posted Dec 21, 2016 04:59 PM

My understanding is that the view do not store data either. When view is called or referenced or queried the content is create on the fly each time. But you are sort of right as you can query the fields in a view like they were in a table.

• 4.  Re: Where is a calculated field stored?

Posted Dec 22, 2016 06:28 PM

correct - not stored, as they are 'virtual attributes'