DX NetOps

• 1.  Spectrum WLC Manager Failure

Posted Dec 21, 2016 12:35 PM

In our environment we were very interested in the WLC Manager feature which was added to Spectrum with r10.1.  We are now at r10.1.2, and for us we've determined that it has caused more issues than it's worth.  Rather than list all the issues we've had up to now, I'll just get to the last one which is bringing us to the end for the WLC Manager.  Deletion of managed WAP's doesn't all completely work as it should. 

• 2.  Re: Spectrum WLC Manager Failure

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Dec 21, 2016 09:00 PM

Hello BrianHunter1317154

Can you elaborate more about the issues? Also do you have support ticket number? How many Access Points are in your environment? 

Thanks,

Nagesh 

• 3.  Re: Spectrum WLC Manager Failure

Posted Dec 23, 2016 10:39 AM

Hello Nagesh,

You can take a look at the case 00632246.  I was able to resolve our issue by deleting all WLC's/AP's from a landscape where the the secondary SpectroServer would terminate after restarting.  We were careful not to restart the primary SpectroServer since it would have most likely experienced the same issue.  The trace output seemed to point to an issue with the WLC.  It seems that there are possibly issues with deleting wireless access points (?).

We can't take the chance that monitoring wireless access points using the Spectrum WLC manager will compromise our environment.  If a SpectroServer will not successfully restart it can become a significant issue.  We can certainly revert back to previous on-line backups, but then re-work becomes an issue.

We have other cases, so you could just review my case history.

One other thing about the WLC Manager.  Since our AP's use DHCP, and have primary and secondary WLC's, we would end up with alarms for conflicting IP addresses, requiring on-going cleanup.

• 4.  Re: Spectrum WLC Manager Failure

Posted Dec 23, 2016 10:49 AM

We have about 60 Cisco WLC's and 1000+ managed wireless access points.  We were not monitoring the managed access points prior to the Spectrum WLC Manager, only the WLC's, but we are reverting back to that prior state until the feature is appropriate for our environment.

Thanks.

• 5.  Re: Spectrum WLC Manager Failure

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Dec 26, 2016 01:13 AM

Hello BrianHunter1317154

Thanks for the detailed reply. Couple of things. 

Allow us some time to go over the issue and find out what is going on in our environment. We definitely want you to take advantage of this feature. And I appreciate your candid feedback. 

Regarding the DHCP enabled AP's issue; this is resolved now. This is fixed in CA Spectrum release 10.2. And there is a patch also available for previous releases. You can seek help of support regarding the same. 

You will hear an update soon from us. Either via support ticket or in this forum. 

Thanks,

Nagesh