DX Application Performance Management

Expand all | Collapse all

How to enable "current anonymous users" in Perfmon Counters, to make .Net agent read and report those metrics?

• 1.  How to enable "current anonymous users" in Perfmon Counters, to make .Net agent read and report those metrics?

Posted Dec 26, 2016 03:52 AM

Hi All,

We have SharePoint Application, we have installed .Net agent, configured SharePoint Extension and also Perfmon Collecter. We have a requirement to report "current anonymous users" metrics, which are provided by IIS. Can anyone help me how to get these metrics?

Thanks,

Chandrasekhar.

• 2.  Re: How to enable "current anonymous users" in Perfmon Counters, to make .Net agent read and report those metrics?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Dec 26, 2016 08:57 PM

If you can see the counter when you open PerfMon, then you need to adjust your ‘filterpattern' property in your agent profile to have the agent display the counter. Restart the PerfMonCollector Agent via the Windows Services console.

• 3.  Re: How to enable "current anonymous users" in Perfmon Counters, to make .Net agent read and report those metrics?

Posted Dec 27, 2016 02:26 AM

Hi Davis,

I am able to see those metrics when I open perfmon on the server. 

The filter we have is " introscope.agent.perfmon.metric.filterPattern=|Processor|*|*,|.NET Data Provider*|*|*,|.NET CLR*|{osprocessname}|*,|.NET CLR Data|*|*,|Process|{osprocessname}|*,|ASP.NET*|* ", which comes default. Please let me know if I need to include anything to it to get the metrics. 

Regards,

Chandrasekhar.

• 4.  Re: How to enable "current anonymous users" in Perfmon Counters, to make .Net agent read and report those metrics?
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Dec 27, 2016 05:18 AM

You need to add the counter to the end of the 'filterPattern'. I will make an assumption you want the counters from 'ASP.NET Applications'. '|ASP.NET*|*' is not specific enough to get the counters from 'ASP.NET Applications'.

If you look at those counters, they are based upon the number of applications running under IIS. Therefore, you will see '_Total' and '<all instances>' as objects, so you will need to specify the applications you want or all. Next, you must start your filter with a pipe symbol like the default ones provided:

|ASP.NET Applications|*|Anonymous Requests,|ASP.NET Applications|*|Anonymous Requests/Sec

The above will get the all applications, including '_Total'. If you only wanted the totals, you need to replace the asterisk with '_Total'.

• 5.  Re: How to enable "current anonymous users" in Perfmon Counters, to make .Net agent read and report those metrics?

Posted Dec 28, 2016 12:47 AM

Hi Haruhiko,

Just to confirm, we can consider "Current Anonymous Users" as per our requirement. So the pattern entry would be "

|ASP.NET Applications|*|CurrentAnonymousUsers

Right?

Regards,

Chandrasekhar.

• 6.  Re: How to enable "current anonymous users" in Perfmon Counters, to make .Net agent read and report those metrics?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Dec 28, 2016 01:00 AM

Sorry, I got that object wrong. It should be:

|Web Service|*|Current Anonymous Users

• 7.  Re: How to enable "current anonymous users" in Perfmon Counters, to make .Net agent read and report those metrics?

Posted Dec 28, 2016 05:01 AM

Hi Haruhiko,

I tried with the above filter it did not work. But, when I open them in Perfmon counter on application server I am able to see those. 

Thanks,

Chandrasekhar.

• 8.  Re: How to enable "current anonymous users" in Perfmon Counters, to make .Net agent read and report those metrics?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Dec 28, 2016 02:10 PM

Please paste in your current filterPattern and screenshot the metrics from the PerfMonCollector agent.

Have you tried changing the logging level of the agent to see if you can catch a warning or error?

• 9.  Re: How to enable "current anonymous users" in Perfmon Counters, to make .Net agent read and report those metrics?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Dec 27, 2016 01:34 PM

Hi Varnima,

Please let us know if Haruhiko's answer has helped you.

Thanks,

Matt

• 10.  Re: How to enable "current anonymous users" in Perfmon Counters, to make .Net agent read and report those metrics?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jan 02, 2017 11:00 AM

Dear Chandrasekhar:

Marking this as answered since no addition responses were provided. You may continue to work the issue with Hiko if needed. 

Thanks

Hal German

• 11.  Re: How to enable "current anonymous users" in Perfmon Counters, to make .Net agent read and report those metrics?

Posted Jan 03, 2017 04:13 AM

Hi Hal, Haruhiko,

Was a bit confused between, perfmon filter pattern entry in SPMonitor and .Net agent. I did enable it in .Net agent, and we got the metrics. Thank you for your help.

Regards,

Chandrasekhar.

• 12.  Re: How to enable "current anonymous users" in Perfmon Counters, to make .Net agent read and report those metrics?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jan 03, 2017 04:17 AM

SPM is different than the .NET PerfMon Collector agent. What I described previously is only for the .NET PerfMon Collector agent.

Details about SPM are available in the wiki for that agent.

• 13.  Re: How to enable "current anonymous users" in Perfmon Counters, to make .Net agent read and report those metrics?

Posted Jan 04, 2017 01:53 AM

Hi Haruhiko,

Perfmon service on Application server is not repeating any data, when I checked the logs it has a message "Reset perfmon monitor criteria due to new w3wp process ID detected:". Is there any way Perfmon automatically identifies the new w3wp Process ID and keep reporting data continuously?

Regards,

Chandrasekhar. 

• 14.  Re: How to enable "current anonymous users" in Perfmon Counters, to make .Net agent read and report those metrics?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jan 03, 2017 07:38 AM

Dear Chandrasekhar.:

Glad to hear you got it implemented. If someone else was doing the same thing, is there anything special that they would have to do?

Thanks

Hal German