DX NetOps

• 1.  Events config

Posted Dec 27, 2016 05:39 AM

We are monitoring the windows servers with multiple disk drives. To monitor the File systems we have created a “filesystem monitoring rules” under “System & Application Monitoring” locator and added the drives from C to Z to this rule with the thresholds, now we are able to monitor all the available disks for the windows servers. The issue is that this cannot segregate between the 'Fix disk' and the 'compact disk' and whenever user inserts CD/DVD it generates 100% disk utilization alarm. So is there any way we can exclude these Compact disk alarms from generating alarms without creating Watches. We were told that this can be done by modifying the events in event configurator but we spent many days doing R&D on this event configurator but still no result. Can someone please help on this?

• 2.  Re: Events config

Posted Jan 01, 2017 07:52 PM
      |   view attached

Does this alarm contain an "instance" variable for the snmp instance lookup? I don't think it does which is why I wrote my own minor/major/critical disk monitoring from scratch (Policy that applies Watches to Host_Resources models in a Global Collection, Event Procedure then generates alarms on the Parent device for the Host_Resources model)

What you have to check is the corrosponding hrStorageType.# instance of the disk on the "_Host Resources" model.

e.g. DummyHost_DeviceModel

DummyHost_Host Resources

hrStorageType attribute

This attribute is enumerated against the hrStorageTypeattribute (screenshot)

e.g. Instance 1 on the left maps to value 2, value 2 on the right maps to RAM.

I'd recommend setting your code to only generate alarms on Fixed Disks.

hrStorageType Attribute

I attached a visio with code examples of what we have. This isn't the answer you were hoping for, but it has worked solid for us for several years.

I'm guessing with the default Spectrum method you're supposed to create a Global Collection for each set of disk types for all your servers. It scales very poorly though.

e.g. Servers with D as CDROM and C/E as Fixed Disk, Global Collection1

Servers with E as CDROM and C/D as Fixed Disk, Global Collection2

etc.

Attachment(s)

zip
    watchDiskMonitor.vsdx.zip   115 KB 1 version

• 3.  Re: Events config

Posted Jan 10, 2017 05:39 AM

Hi Lewis,

unable to open visio file, can u plz attach it with word or ppt format ?

• 4.  Re: Events config

Posted Jan 10, 2017 08:19 AM

Download visio viewer here Download Microsoft Visio 2013 Viewer from Official Microsoft Download Center 

This was saved using Visio2013 which I do not have so I can't edit it.