IDMS

• 1.  Is there any version control tool  available for ADS/O Dialogs, maps ?   Can changeman tool help in this regard? 

Posted Jan 02, 2017 07:15 AM

We are manually maintaining the versions of the ADS/O Dialogs. Need a tool to do it in more controlled way. Can anybody let me know of any tools which support it  or any alternative ways?

• 2.  Re: Is there any version control tool  available for ADS/O Dialogs, maps ?   Can changeman tool help in this regard? 
    Best Answer

Posted Jan 03, 2017 10:15 AM

Hi, as far as I know, ChangeMan tracks changes of ADSO objects but this is done thru batch recompiles. CA-Endeavor works totally online integrated with ADSO, IDD environement..

• 3.  Re: Is there any version control tool  available for ADS/O Dialogs, maps ?   Can changeman tool help in this regard? 

Posted Jan 05, 2017 10:12 AM

We are starting to consider Changeman as well. It is interesting because the ADSO code is stored in IDMS. Storing it additionally in Changeman seems workable since the Changeman jobs can be coded to use the MODIFY verb - which would essentially replace the objects in ADS.

I am afraid that configuring changeman for all the scenarios may be pretty complex. Dialogs will need generates, newcopy, etc where simpler objects like Modules and Tables will need fewer steps.

I wonder if anyone is already using Changeman with IDMS ADS? 

-Paul

• 4.  Re: Is there any version control tool  available for ADS/O Dialogs, maps ?   Can changeman tool help in this regard? 

Posted Jan 05, 2017 12:13 PM

We use ENDEVOR/DB in combination with ENDEVOR. It is not really a version management solution; it is more of a way to manage the deployment of the code changes.

• 5.  Re: Is there any version control tool  available for ADS/O Dialogs, maps ?   Can changeman tool help in this regard? 

Posted May 02, 2017 08:54 AM

Here is my answer to the questions mentioned in the title of this question, related to things like ADS/O dialogs or maps:

1. Endevor/DB does have some support for this.
    2. I don't think Endevor SCM cannot handle this "on its own", unless with some type of home written customization to get it to work (and possibly by combining it with Endevor/DB), similar to what Tim's answer.
    3. I am sure ChangeMan ZMF cannot handle this "on its own", unless you use AbitMORE SCM for IDMS/ADSO (*) in combination ChangeMan ZMF (as a plugin on top of it).

Contact me if you want more details (cfr. my profile info to do so).

(*) Disclosure: I'm the original developer of it, and still involved in its support.