DX Application Performance Management

• 1.  CA APM for SiteMinder

Posted Jan 05, 2017 12:47 AM

We have recently installed CA Wily SiteMinderManager for SiteMinder Web Access Manager 32 bit version 12.0.4 on windows 2012 R2 OS. However everytime we restart the Wily agent, we see that wily agent starts reporting the policy server metrics under a new node under SiteMinderManageras follows:

SiteMinderReporter

SiteMinderReporter%1

SiteMinderReporter%2

How can we get rid of this? Is there some configuration that i'm missing as i don't see this problem on some of windows 2008 R2 servers with Wily 12.0.3 when i restart them.

• 2.  Re: CA APM for SiteMinder

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jan 05, 2017 08:48 AM

Sounds like autonaming is enabled for the agent.

• 3.  Re: CA APM for SiteMinder

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jan 05, 2017 10:16 AM

Autonaming is one thing.  However, there are two things that would cause this.

1. More than one agent with the same exact name.  Thus the reason for adding a %1, %2 to the end of the agent name.

2. When restarting, the EM does not realize the Agent has disconnected and still keeps reporting as it is there.  When the agent reconnects (generally to the same EM as it has a long history with that particular EM - this is speaking of when in a cluster) the EM sees that same name and then requests to have a %1, %2 etc... added to the end of the name.

3. The restart may be so fast (generally script driven) that the EM has no time to realize that the agent disconnected.

If it is #2, then the cluster may have a performance issue causing the EM to perform slowly and again not recognize that the Agent has disconnected and reconnected.

If it is #3, then provide a delay between shutdown and restart of the agent.

• 4.  Re: CA APM for SiteMinder

Posted Jan 05, 2017 10:21 AM
      |   view attached

I’m doing a manual restart of the Wily agent and there was almost 10-15mins in between stopping and starting. Currenlty there is only one EM to which all these agents are pointed to and so it is not a cluster. How would I know if the EM is having performance issues?

Thanks

Thanks,

VenkatAnand Katuri

Sr IAM Consultant, COREBLOX LLC

Mobile:+1  (312)-3073937

Office: +1 (480)-347-4685

venkatanand.katuri@coreblox.com<mailto:venkatanand.katuri@coreblox.com>

• 5.  Re: CA APM for SiteMinder
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jan 05, 2017 10:36 AM

10 to 15 minute gap between shutdown and restart is way more than plenty for the EM to realize that it disconnected.  During that time, do you see in the Investigator that the Agent becomes grayed out?

To figure out if you're having a performance issue, there are many ways. 

1. Message in the EM log such as "outgoing message queue not moving"

2. Message in the EM log such as "outgoing message queue moving slowly"

3. Message in the EM log such as "clock skewed" or "pausing to allow system clock to catch up"

Double check your Agent log and EM log to ensure there is a "disconnected" message acknowledging that the Agent did indeed disconnect.

One other thought is that a thread may still keep alive after a shutdown and thus causing the EM to think it is still up.

I would recommend opening a Support ticket and upload the EM log and Agent log to the issue.  Also if you could reproduce this with DEBUG enabled on the Agent and EM, this would greatly help us.

• 6.  Re: CA APM for SiteMinder

Posted Jan 05, 2017 11:57 AM
      |   view attached

marked as helpful on CA APM for SiteMinder

Thanks,

VenkatAnand Katuri

Sr IAM Consultant, COREBLOX LLC

Mobile:+1  (312)-3073937

Office: +1 (480)-347-4685

venkatanand.katuri@coreblox.com<mailto:venkatanand.katuri@coreblox.com>

• 7.  Re: CA APM for SiteMinder

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jan 05, 2017 12:52 PM

Based that Matt's answer was marked helpful and the suggestion was to open a support case, I am marking as answered. However, your may post status updates and resolutions if you wish.

• 8.  Re: CA APM for SiteMinder

Posted Jan 06, 2017 01:21 PM

That is correct. When i checked the Taskmanager, i was seeing three process. and then when tested, i noticed that when  i stop the Wily Agent from the Services.msc ( opened as Administrator ), still the process is not getting killed. I'm going to open a case with Support to find out why the agent is not shutting down properly.

I had to select the option of "Unmount reporter" on EM to take out the %1 and %2 node metrics .

Thanks for your help.