DX Unified Infrastructure Management

• 1.  NAS Triggers - true triggers set visible = 1

Posted Jan 06, 2017 07:57 AM

Hi

I  have alarms that are in the pre processing rules as invisible

I created triggers for these alerts, and then a profile in the AO for when all were true, perform an action

However I have a problem with the action, the action I need is to put all alerts insivible as visible, the profile using trigger does not have this option

I tried it by script, very basic, but it did not work
    I have no idea, can anyone help me?

In summary, I need to set triggers alerts as visible

• 2.  Re: NAS Triggers - true triggers set visible = 1

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jan 06, 2017 12:34 PM

can you provide some insight why you need to change from invisible to visible?

Do you currently have the trigger setup on a AO profile ?

How often is the AO setup execute?

I think we need a little more information to help

• 3.  Re: NAS Triggers - true triggers set visible = 1

Posted Jan 06, 2017 12:54 PM

Trying to explain better, I have 4 temperature alerts from the same room (different sensors), I created 1 trigger for each alert

When the 4 are active, I need to leave the alert X that is of the main sensor visible and also reset the suppkey to 1 if possible

So I thought of using triggers and 1 script, but my simple test script only worked on pre-processing, pre-processing does not work with triggers unfortunately

• 4.  Re: NAS Triggers - true triggers set visible = 1

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jan 06, 2017 02:36 PM

So Generally speaking it is very difficult to update mutliple alarms based on another alarm.

You basically would have to search through all of the open alarms for the ones you want and then update them a script.

This can have a very negative affect on the performance of the nas probe depending on alarm volume.

So basically you would create an AO say on overdue 10s

Set the trigger condition.

then have a script that gets a list of all the alarms you need to modify and loop through them and update as needed.

support would generally strongly recommend against doing this due the the potential impact and complexity this might introduce.

• 5.  Re: NAS Triggers - true triggers set visible = 1

Posted Jan 06, 2017 03:32 PM

It's not actually that hard to do. 

One of the things that's difficult to get your head around is figuring out what event causes the changes to occur.

Probes like CDM make this easy because you get an event every interval - the easy probes are identified by the cases where the count steadily increases while the event is happening. I'm hoping your temperature sensor is like that - where every time it checks the temp it sends an alarm with a priority that matches the wrongness of the temperature measured.

Assuming it is, with probe messaging like this, you set up an AO profile that essentially answers the question of whether or not that message should be visible or if it should create create a new message or not. And it needs to be set "On Arrival" so that it fires every time.

You use the trigger to collect the alarms that match the event. So yes, it can be expensive to query the alarm table for matching alarms if you have 10k active alarms. If you have a trigger already, that trigger has effectively already run the query so it's very fast to "ask the trigger" which alarms matched it.

you also use a second trigger (if you want) to collect the existence of the "all four happening" alarm.

If I understood your problem correctly, you have a situation where if there's less than four temperature alerts, the alerts should be invisible. If there are four alerts then you want them to be visible and to create a new alarm reflecting the condition.

So your AO profile script for the temperature alert looks something like:

Get alarm contents for teh temp alert

request list of matching temperature alarms from trigger

request list of matching "All Four temperature alarms" alarms from second trigger

if count of matching temperature alerts = 4 and visibility = no

Set visibility to yes

update alarm

if count of all four temperature alarms = 0

create "All four temps bad" alarm using rawalarm with level > 0 (not clear)

end

else if level = clear

if count of all four temperature alarms alarms > 0

create "All four temps bad" alarm using rawalarm with level = 0 (clear) to close the all four alarm

end

else if count of matching alerts < 4 and visibility = yes

set visibility to no 

update alarm

if count of all four temperature alarms > 0

create "All four temps bad" alarm using rawalarm with level = 0 (clear) to close the all four alarm

end

end

The other thing to note is that when you update an alarm it goes back on the bus so the script will process that alarm almost immediately a second time so you need to make sure that your script doesn't update the alarm if it is "Right".

There is some delay in the way the script would work because it is dependent on the next event from the temperature probe to come in to to make the alert decide if it is visible or not.

I may have missed some of the logic and it is a real pain to test but it is a satisfying mental challenge.

-Garin

• 6.  Re: NAS Triggers - true triggers set visible = 1

Posted Jan 09, 2017 04:55 AM

Garin

I'll work on this idea

Thank you