Clarity

• 1.  Add and Select More (multi-select)

Posted Jan 06, 2017 04:24 PM

I have new requested functionality by my users to develop the ability to add multiple rows to a existing custom object. The object currently allows only a single record to be added at a time.   They would like to filter by an attribute and then select all that match and have it add all of these rows by using the Add button.  An example of existing functionality is on the (Project | Team | Add) pop-up window. 

In my case, I was to select multiple Roles that are impacted by a Project. 

It looks like this might not be available for me to create in Studio.   I've been searching this board and Support. 

Sadly, most of my questions here lately are all about this one object.  Does anyone have any experience with this? 

• 2.  Re: Add and Select More (multi-select)

Posted Jan 06, 2017 05:00 PM

Can you explain what you mean by "add multiple rows to a existing custom object"?

If you have an instance of a custom object, you can multiple values of a single field (attribute) to it, by implementing that attribute as a multi-valued lookup - not sure if that is what you mean?

• 3.  Re: Add and Select More (multi-select)

Posted Jan 06, 2017 09:46 PM

Dave, thanks for replying.

I mixed up my terminology.  We have a custom object which is the bottom level of a grandparent-parent-child relationship.   These are Project-Impact-and impacted Subarea (ROLE).  When the users open the list page and click ADD, they want to be able to select one or more values from the ROLE object to attach to this new object (Impact).    I was hoping the ADD would be able to provide a filterable list of ROLES that could be selected and connected to the Impact object.

I think this would be similar to the ability to select resources for a team on a project in a “pop-up” window which has the Add and Select More capability.  So that one works this way, open a Project, navigate to the Team tab, and then click Add.  The resulting page is what I’m trying to mimic.   I can select multiple resources and then click either Add or Add and Select More.

I’ve been around Clarity for a long time now, but am filling in more on the customization role these days.  I’m pretty good at upgrading it and keeping the servers running, but very green on the development side.

Thank you again for your help,

Terry

• 4.  Re: Add and Select More (multi-select)

Posted Jan 07, 2017 05:04 AM

OK well I think the fundamental difference here is that in the stock add-to-team thing, we are just creating a relationship between a thing (the project) and other existing things (the resources). Wheras in the custom object example we are not creating a relationship to the second thing, we are creating a New instance of the thing (the child object) - and we can only create one new thing at a time.  (Unless I'm still misunderstanding what you are saying).

If you believe that your design is to create the relationship not the new-instances, then I still think you can do that with a multi-valued lookup attribute.

• 5.  Re: Add and Select More (multi-select)

Posted Jan 08, 2017 11:09 AM

Dave,

this has been a very helpful thread. I think I am understanding the concepts better. I do believe that I am creating the relationship between two existing objects. I think what has thrown me off is that this new relationship instance also has some attributes. Maybe this new object was created incorrectly.

So, using your terminology;

NOTE: We refer to the stock ROLE object as SUBAREA at my company. This gets a little sticky sometimes when I try to explain things.

I am creating a relationship between the existing things IMPACTS REQUEST and the SUBAREA (role) with the relationship IMPACT_SUBAREA. This new instance has two new attributes (Effort and Comments).

This new relationship (IMPACT_SUBAREA) is a sub object if the IMPACTS REQUEST object. I have tried to create the relationship to the SUBAREA (role) through an attribute which is a lookup to the SUBAREA.

When I click the Add button the portlet is replaced by the new "Create Impacts Subarea" portlet. This is not the "pop-up" that I see on my earlier example of the stock add-to-team example.

I have a look-up field (binoculars) which allows me to select a single instance of the SUBAREA.   There is only the Save and the Save and Return buttons (Return too).   This only adds one instance of the relationship.

We tried a multi-select lookup, but it want's to concatenate all of the chosen values into a single instance of the IMPACT_SUBAREA.

I have a feeling we are getting close, and this might be one of those learning moments when we figure out how this can be accomplished.

Thanks,

Terry

• 6.  Re: Add and Select More (multi-select)

Posted Jan 09, 2017 03:41 AM

Does you SUBAREAs exist as a "list of things" independent of them being a "child" of your IMPACT REQUESTS? Would a SUBAREA exist as a child of multiple IMPACT REQUESTS?

I think that the answer to both those questions is "yes" - and so I think that your SUBAREAs should exist as a distinct (master) object in your system (and thus can have attributes of their own - if its doesn't need attributes, then its just a lookup) - and then in your IMPACT REQUEST you just have a multi-valueds lookup to select multiple SUBAREAs for your IMPACT REQUEST.

--

However, if each occurrence of a SUBAREA against a IMPACT REQUEST has attributes of its own (for example you were providing an estimate per SUBAREA per IMPACT REQUEST) then the above doesn't work - you are then maintaining the intersection instance of a IMAPACT REQUEST/SUBAREA and that itself is a new instance (so back to one-at-a-time).

• 7.  Re: Add and Select More (multi-select)

Posted Jan 11, 2017 10:33 AM

Hi Dave, 

Thanks again.  I think your last section tells me this is not possible.  I am building a middle object between the Impact Request and the Subarea.  This new instance does have its own attributes and is the child object of the Impact Request.  

Impact_Request <<--  Impacted Subarea  -->> Subarea

It just seems like this should be something I can build through Studio.  This screenshot is the team-resource popup I am trying to mimic.  In my case, I would be on the Impact Request (background) and then the popup would allow me to choose from the existing subarea.   I would pick one or many and then click add or add and select more.   These would then be loaded to the background page to be saved.  I guess the additional fields (estimate effort and comments) are preventing this from working? 

Team-Resource

Anything I try to do with multi-valued lookups just seems to insert the values into a single column rather than load multiple rows.  This is a temporary portlet I created to test the MV Lookup.   

multi-value lookup results

Seems like this might be CA code that is performing this functionality and not available through Studio. 

Thanks,

Terry

• 8.  Re: Add and Select More (multi-select)
    Best Answer

Posted Jan 11, 2017 10:37 AM

Agreed - the project<-->resource relationship is stock functionality and behaves according to its "own rules" (and specific code to implement that) and not according to the studio-rules. So I don't think you can do what you want.