Clarity

• 1.  Delegate Maintenance

Posted Jan 10, 2017 07:41 AM

Does anyone have a suggestion on the best (easiest) way to maintain delegates for timesheet approval?  As people move from one manager to the other and due to management reorgs, managing timesheet approvers takes a great deal of time.  Have you implemented anything to automate this?  Do you manually maintain this information? How?

• 2.  Re: Delegate Maintenance

Posted Jan 10, 2017 08:21 AM

We use security groups, one per approver, granting the group rights to approve timesheets for a set of resource instances.

Easy to administer/maintain.

One thing we don't like about this is that it requires Admin access to the app, in order that those maintaining this can get to Groups to make changes, so we end up with more people having Admin access than we'd like to have - and they can get inventive, sometimes in a bad way (redundantly allocating groups to resources, deleting groups accidentally, etc.).  We also end up with thousands of "TSA" (timesheet approval) groups.

I have an idea, which we could implement, but it keeps getting pushed back by other priorities:  Create two new multi-valued attributes on the resource object:

• My Timesheets are Approved By
    • I Approve Timesheets for These Resources

These would be available to Resource Admins on the App side of CA PPM.  And, we'd have a daily scheduled update job and an Action that could be run from Resource Properties edit page in real-time, where each would update the Resource-Approve Time right instances of approvers based on the content of the new fields.

May even be able to get fancy and create a new Timesheet Approval Management html portlet, where we could filter for a manager name and then drag/drop resource names into their 'approval' bucket or drag names out of their bucket, saving changes back to CA PPM.  If we can get the first idea done, it can serve as the foundation for this html portlet.  If someone else gets these done before us, let me know.