Clarity

• 1.  Linking a Property field in Object to a Portlet

Posted Jan 11, 2017 07:14 AM

Hello Folks ,

I would like to know whether we can link existing Object fields label (field type could be Sting ,Numberic etc )or value via any hyper link to a Portlet .

For example : Project Code field is there .Upon clicking the Field Label text it should link to a Portlet which shows additional information related to the field .

Is that possible ?

Looking forward to responses.

Regards,

Supriya Chakraborty

• 2.  Re: Linking a Property field in Object to a Portlet

Posted Jan 11, 2017 08:32 AM

Have you checked this ?

Technique sought for linking an NSQL parameter to a portlet or portlet pa

https://communities.ca.com/message/2284220 

NJ

• 3.  Re: Linking a Property field in Object to a Portlet

Posted Jan 11, 2017 09:01 AM

Would think you create a new link in the object definition which links to a linkable portlet page upon which your portlet is placed (i.e. the same way that we would set up a link in a NSQL query) - would need the object to provide the right parameters to the portlet page (which would be provided by the NSQL query in teh NSQL case) but you'd set up the usage of the link then against the attribute in the object LIST view.

Don't think that above would work for object EDIT views though, but could use a variation of the TIP : How To Put Any Dynamically Generated Value On A Clarity Object  to build dynamic links (i.e. to the portlet page)

(I have done the latter, but not the former - obviously I've never felt the need to link from a object list page to a custom portlet)

• 4.  Re: Linking a Property field in Object to a Portlet

Posted Jan 11, 2017 09:58 AM

HI David ,

Thanks for your reply .

My requirement is to link an existing Text or Numeric field of a page  to the custom portlet which  have the field details as the present tool tip functionality has got a character restriction of 240 character  and we don’t want to use Hint .

The existing field have  got values which is already entered .I see a challenge there to link to portlet without disturbing the page Layout .

I am not sure about the feasibility of this solution .

Could you please elaborate your approach a bit further ?

Thanks in advance .

Regards,

Supriya Chakraborty

• 5.  Re: Linking a Property field in Object to a Portlet

Posted Jan 12, 2017 12:31 AM

HI David ,

Thanks for your reply .

My requirement is to link an existing Text or Numeric field of a page  to the custom portlet which  have the field details as the present tool tip functionality has got a character restriction of 240 character  and we don’t want to use Hint .

The existing field have  got values which is already entered .I see a challenge there to link to portlet without disturbing the page Layout .

I am not sure about the feasibility of this solution .

Could you please elaborate your approach a bit further ?

Thanks in advance .

Regards,

Supriya Chakraborty

• 6.  Re: Linking a Property field in Object to a Portlet

Posted Jan 12, 2017 03:44 AM

Ummn, I don't think just repeating your last question again is going to make me answer it any differently!

• 7.  Re: Linking a Property field in Object to a Portlet

Posted Jan 12, 2017 09:49 AM

Hi Dave ,

Well the repetition was a typo in the same email .

Thanks for your valuable advice .

I could link it to the Tool tip portlet .

Apart from this I have one more scenario where the requirement is  to link the  individual filters fields of some existing grid Portlets  to Tool Tip portlets .

Can it be done ?

Regards,

Supriya Chakraborty

• 8.  Re: Linking a Property field in Object to a Portlet

Posted Jan 12, 2017 09:54 AM

You have two options here I think

1. Pass down all filters used in the main portlet to the child portlet in the same way that you pass down whatever the user has clicked-on (the context) of the drill-down. This means that the NSQL of the main portlet has to return all the filters as part of its data set (so that you can pass them as links).

2.Implement a filter-portlet to contain *all* your filters. use the filter-portlet on the page that the main portlet is on and also implement it on the page that the child portlet is on. This way you only have to pass down the context and the filter-portlet takes care of everything else.

I prefer #2

• 9.  Re: Linking a Property field in Object to a Portlet

Posted Jan 11, 2017 10:09 AM

You could (using the TIP technique) implement a dummy field below your existing text/number field - the dummy field would contain a dynamically built hyperlink (using the technique in the TIP) which linked to your required portlet page.

Can't get the link on the existing field, only "nearby", so there is some compromise in screen layout, but you can make the hyperlink text something meaningful ; (for example "Click here for further details....") and give the dummy field a minimal name (for example '.') which helps I think.