CA Client Automation

• 1.  WinOffline SD job Returns Exit code 5888 indicates possible error [SDM228001]

Posted Jan 11, 2017 08:41 AM

When running a WinOffline job to apply a single TF on many system,s I am getting this message:

Exit code 5888 indicates possible error [SDM228001]

On many others it runs fine. Can't see anything obvious and .NET requirements etc. are fine to my eye. Using version 2016.07.12.0. 

• 2.  Re: WinOffline SD job Returns Exit code 5888 indicates possible error [SDM228001]

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jan 11, 2017 09:32 AM

hi Darragh

from the winoffline release notes

Requirements:
    WinOffline is a .NET Framework Application.

Microsoft CLR = Common Language Runtime
    Microsoft CLR 4.0 -- .NET Versions: 4.0 4.5 4.6 4.6.1 4.6.2
    Microsoft CLR 2.0 -- .NET Versions: 2.0 3.0 3.5

Exit Code 1 -- Process initialization failed.
    WinOffline failed to obtain basic information from the system. For example, it was unable to read the machine hostname, or its process name.

Exit Code 2 -- Elevation check failed.
    WinOffline checks to ensure the user is an Administrator on the system, and that the process is run with administrator elevation.

Exit Code 3 -- Environment initialization failed.
    WinOffline failed to read system environment variables.

Exit Code 4 -- Registry initialization failed.
    WinOffline failed to read from the Windows registry.

Exit Code 5 -- Comstore initialization failed.
    WinOffline failed to read from the Client Automation comstore.

Exit Code 6 -- Isolation Check failure.
    Another instance of WinOffline is running.

Exit Code 7 -- Debug log initialization failed.
    WinOffline failed to create a debug log in the Windows Temp folder.

Exit Code 8 -- Failed to process startup switches.
    WinOffline failed to process the startup switches that were provided.

Exit Code 9 -- Pipe server initialization failed.
    WinOffline failed to establish a communication pipe to its client process, WinOfflineClient.exe. See the note further down for an explanation on what the client process is used for.

Exit Code 10 -- Resource extraction failed.
    WinOffline failed to extract external resources to its working directory. WinOffline extracts the cazip.exe utility for decompressing CA patches, and LaunchService.exe, a temporary system service for launching processes (i.e. cfsystray) in the context of other user's desktops.

Exit Code 100 -- A patching error has occurred.
    This indicates WinOffline executed successfully to completion, but one or more of the patches either FAILED TO APPLY, or FAILED TO BE REMOVED.

All other exit codes -- The .NET Framework is not installed.
    Any other exit code, whether a negative number or seemingly random number, typically indicates the .NET Framework is not installed on the endpoint system.

• 3.  Re: WinOffline SD job Returns Exit code 5888 indicates possible error [SDM228001]

Posted Jan 11, 2017 09:56 AM

Thanks Richard. .NET 2.0 is part of our base builds and required for various other critical components and if it were missing, other things like the Citrix Receiver would not function. I might try with the latest WinOffline.exe that was specifically built for .NET 2.0. 

• 4.  Re: WinOffline SD job Returns Exit code 5888 indicates possible error [SDM228001]
    Best Answer

Posted Jan 11, 2017 10:22 AM

Hey Darragh,

Definitely grab the latest WinOffline I posted to the community site here: Latest WinOffline -- 20 December 2016 

The ZIP file has two 'editions' of WinOffline.  Both are exactly the same code, except one is compiled for .NET CLR 2.0, and the other for .NET CLR 4.0.

Microsoft really kills me, that the same code, no differences, is not able to be compiled in support of both CLRs.  I'm exploring a number of options as I don't like having two editions of WinOffline.

-Brian

• 5.  Re: WinOffline SD job Returns Exit code 5888 indicates possible error [SDM228001]

Posted Jan 14, 2017 11:57 AM

OK, found the underlying issue and it was indeed the fact that the version of WinOffline I was using was the .NET 4 one and  .NET 4 framework was missing on the machine but the reason was a little less obvious. Having checked a handful of machines where it failed noticed they were tied to 2 out of my 12 SS servers. I had updated the WinOffline version on the DM in the underlying directory structure with the .NET 2.0 version and removed and re-staged the package to all SS servers. Seems though that within the activate folder under the SD file structure eon these 2 SS servers, the zipped package still contained the older package version with the old WinOffline .Net 4 version! Manually removed those .zip archives and working now!

• 6.  Re: WinOffline SD job Returns Exit code 5888 indicates possible error [SDM228001]

Posted Jan 16, 2017 05:49 AM

Ps: wonderful tool