Clarity

Expand all | Collapse all

Allocation vs Actuals in Jaspersoft Ad-Hoc

• 1.  Allocation vs Actuals in Jaspersoft Ad-Hoc

Posted Jan 14, 2017 02:18 PM

I'm attempting to build a Resource then Investment level Allocation vs Actuals report in Ad-Hoc. Using myself for test data, I'm expecting something like this:

Using the Resource domain, I expect that when I drop the Investment Name to the right of Resource Name that this would 'constrain' the hours by the investment (numbers should match above). I'm seeing all Allocation and Actuals for the period. 

What am I doing wrong?

• 2.  Re: Allocation vs Actuals in Jaspersoft Ad-Hoc

Posted Jan 14, 2017 02:38 PM

Hmm. Try the Investment Domain. I admit I don't understand this stuff. I guess I need to take a class on this.

Dear CA and all third party vendors. All my users want is access to their actuals. Nothing fancy - no custom attributes (to start). We really expect a report like this to be out of the box or a part of a 3rd party report pack we can purchase. 

• 3.  Re: Allocation vs Actuals in Jaspersoft Ad-Hoc

Posted Jan 14, 2017 02:52 PM

OK - when I remove the single project constraint I'm getting what looks like 'All' Investment Allocation and Actuals, not constrained by me as a Resource.

I'm back to not understanding it and would rather just pay someone for well tested, productized reports.

• 4.  Re: Allocation vs Actuals in Jaspersoft Ad-Hoc
    Best Answer

Posted Jan 16, 2017 09:02 AM

Hi Robert,

I'm no expert and we are having our struggles with JS on 14.2 - hopefully, will resolve most of them when upgrading to 15.1 or 15.2.

In the measures area, try looking for Team based metrics. I think that Investment metrics lack a relationship to resources, therefore, you get the totals from the investments.  Likewise, resource metrics lack a relationship to investments/projects.  Its the Team based metrics where the link between projects/investments and resources lies.

Also, seems that the Project Domain has more metrics related to all the different types of hours (assignments, actuals, allocations) that the Investment Domain.  Don't know why it's like this - perhaps because one can only allocate to Ideas, Other Work, Product....?  Whatever the reason, Project Domain appears to be more detailed in this respect.

• 5.  Re: Allocation vs Actuals in Jaspersoft Ad-Hoc

Posted Jan 17, 2017 10:03 AM

Thanks Dale. You are absolutely correct - I need to use the Team Measures to constrain at the team level - Allocation data is correct as shown below. 

Bad news is I cannot find a Team Actual Hours in either the Investment, Project or Resource domains.

We're on 14.3 with Jasper 6.2.1. Am I doing something wrong or is there no capability in Ad-Hoc to pull Allocation vs Actuals by Resource by Investment or Investment by Resource with the OOTB domains? Is Team Actual Hours in the OOTB Domains a later release?

• 6.  Re: Allocation vs Actuals in Jaspersoft Ad-Hoc

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jan 17, 2017 04:28 PM

Hi Robert,

In the Resource Domain, you should pull the Team -> Hours -> Team Allocated Hours for the allocation, and the Assignment -> Hours -> Assignment Actual Hours for the actuals.

In the Investment Domain, you should pull the Team -> Hours -> Team Allocation Hours for the allocation, and the Investment -> Hours -> Actual Hours for actuals.

These were pulled from 15.1, but I believe they are also avaialable in 14.3.

• 7.  Re: Allocation vs Actuals in Jaspersoft Ad-Hoc

Posted Jan 18, 2017 10:20 AM

Thanks Janet.

When I drag the Actuals metrics on - the data looses its mind. I greatly appreciate the help - unless you can spot anything I'm doing wrong I think I'm at diminishing returns and should open a ticket.

Resource Domain

Investment Domain

• 8.  Re: Allocation vs Actuals in Jaspersoft Ad-Hoc

Posted Jan 25, 2017 04:53 PM

Hi all. I wanted to circle back on this for maybe some closure. As per CA Support, we can expect to get unexpected results when mixing object type measures. As per the documentation:

ulrja01 -  please be careful. Although what your showing above may be working, I've been unable to get that to work in our system(s) and CA has told me this is functioning as designed.

Dale_Stockman -  you're right on the money.

"In the measures area, try looking for Team based metrics. I think that Investment metrics lack a relationship to resources, therefore, you get the totals from the investments.  Likewise, resource metrics lack a relationship to investments/projects.  Its the Team based metrics where the link between projects/investments and resources lies."

The challenge is - there are no Team Actuals in any Domain.  

<sigh>

All: Please vote up the following Idea - Team Actuals Measures in Jaspersoft Domains.

• 9.  Re: Allocation vs Actuals in Jaspersoft Ad-Hoc

Posted May 03, 2017 05:28 AM

Thanks Robert as you have clarified the issue. I have voted gor your idea. 

However, I have to say for any CA person reading this; whats the point of Jasper domains if they cannot allow you to select any combination of fields/measures that the domain contains. 

I am always surprised how after all these years PPM fails to have what most users would expect are obvious functions/reports.

• 10.  Re: Allocation vs Actuals in Jaspersoft Ad-Hoc

Posted May 03, 2017 10:54 AM

What you could do is to add the aggregation of the actuals on the team level as a derived table to the OOTB domain, e.g. the Project Management Domain.

Disclaimer: This is not release save and can destroy all your reports on this domain! You should export your domain before in order to be able to restore it via superuser in case you misconfigured the domain.

Therefore I highly advice to create a copy of the OOTB domain to perform the extension there.