Rally Software

• 1.  Handling Defects over multiple sprints

Posted Jan 16, 2017 08:19 AM

Hello

When managing defects I am linking them to the EPIC User Story for the project.

This provides visibility at the project level for all Defects.

The defects page allows for tasks to be added, sprint assigned, test cases etc. We have a defect which has several test cases already loaded, but this is carrying over to the next sprint.

If the defect ends up being carried over to the next sprint to resolve/implement - how should we handle this?

Just change the sprint? What about the tasks assigned to it? Just keep adding more?

We were told to link the Defect to a US and move that over multiple sprints. Assumption is a Child Story. I still have concerns doing it this way as why then have the Defect page allow for sprint assigning. Do we create multiple Child stories to carry it over multiple sprints? Would that not create multiple defects? Or was the intent CONVERT the Defect to a User Story - i just saw this in your help screens; so not sure if this was meant to be done. 

If we are to CONVERT, would this impact what we have loaded into the DEFECT already?  ie Test Cases/Results

If you can please help clarify the best way to handle this.

Thank you

• 2.  Re: Handling Defects over multiple sprints

Posted Feb 23, 2017 01:18 PM

Since you can't split a defect the way that you'd split a user story, all I can tell is is what we do here. When we have a defect that was planned into an iteration but can't be completed we simply reassign it to the next iteration. Not saying that this is what you should do but that's how we handle it.