Clarity

Chat Transcript - CA PPM Office Hours: A Live Online Chat (January 2017)

• 1.  Chat Transcript - CA PPM Office Hours: A Live Online Chat (January 2017)

Posted Jan 17, 2017 12:55 PM

Miss the January PPM Office Hours - Online Chat? Check out what you missed below and be sure to join us in February for the next session!

from Chris Hackett (CA) to Everyone: Hi Everyone - We'll be starting in just a few minutes.
    from Chris Hackett (CA) to Everyone: OK - We're pretty light on attendance but let's go ahead and start!
    from Chris Hackett (CA) to Everyone: Ready for questions!
    from Martti K to Everyone: How would you create ab action to do Export to Excel in a process?
    from Martti K to Everyone: create an action
    from Art Vendryes to Everyone: What is considered the best way to handle professional services in terms of a resource? The person performing the work would not be entering time into CA PPM, but would be invoicing on an SOW
    from Nika Hadzhikidi (CA) to Everyone: @Martti - can you please clarify why would you want to do this? The process will not work in UI but in the background anyways. It's possible to create a GEL script that will save an excel file to disk if that helps?
    from Martti K to Everyone: @Nika - Are you saying that use gel to create the xml in the xls file and save that to a location?
    from Kathryn Ellis (CA) to Everyone: @Art: use an expense resource and create a financial transaction entry and import into the project.
    from Art Vendryes to Everyone: got it, thanks
    from Nika Hadzhikidi (CA) to Everyone: @Martti - yes you can use GEL and add it to a process. Then when the process runs it can save the excel to file location. I don't know what is the business need behind wanting to run it from action menu though, I think just Execute process should work since there is no need to get immediate response in UI
    from Chris Hackett (CA) to Everyone: Ready for more questions!
    from Art Vendryes to Everyone: Anyone have thoughts on why a resource with actuals posted to a project when a cost plan is created those actual hours/$ do not appear on the plan. I created a virtual field in the task list that does show the actual hours being spread correctly
    from Marcio to Everyone: How I create a portlet that return posted hours and available hours using filter by start and finish date of the timesheet
    from Kathryn Ellis (CA) to Everyone: @Art: Cost Plan actuals come from WIP. You need to post the hours into the financial module to see it in the cost plan.
    from Martti K to Everyone: @Nika - thanks, that was something I was thinking. The customer wants least user action, immediate and upto date results, I do not know if they can justify that.
    from Kathryn Ellis (CA) to Everyone: @Marcio: Please look at existing timesheet reports
    from Art Vendryes to Everyone: timsheets have been posted each week including the Post to WIP
    from Kathryn Ellis (CA) to Everyone: @Marcio: There are some PMO Accelerator timesheet portlets that may be useful
    from Marcio to Everyone: @Kathryn: Thanks. I will see that!
    from Nika Hadzhikidi (CA) to Everyone: @Martti - in that case it may make sense for the process to fire on specific action. For example, modifying a field.
    If they export data that can be put in a portlet, they can try exporting the portlet to Excel if that's simpler too

from Kathryn Ellis (CA) to Everyone: @Art: maybe your cost plan properties set up is causing it? maybe the actuals are on a 2nd page? you may need to log a support case.
    from Marcio to Everyone: Any idea by launch a next release (using 15.1)
    from Martti K to Everyone: @Nika - I do not know why they do not want to do the export to Excel, save and open, They just want the open. A simple solution were to fire a process from an action which would Export a portlet to Excel, but I guess there is no system action for portets to do the Export to Excel
    from Art Vendryes to Everyone: @Kathryn: I think I may need to log a support case. I can see the "planned" information, but actuals
    from Art Vendryes to Everyone: *no actuals
    from Kathryn Ellis (CA) to Everyone: @Marcio: 15.1 is already released. The next release is targeted for March-April.
    from Nika Hadzhikidi (CA) to Everyone: @Martti - yes it it's not really having the action they want. I'd go by what they want and try to get the next simplest thing.
    from Marcio to Everyone: Tks!
    from Chris Hackett (CA) to Everyone: Anymore questions folks?
    from Art Vendryes to Everyone: I have a copy of the CA PPM 14.2 Access Groups for PMO Accelerator dated 10/13/16. Is there another document that provides more detail?
    from Kathryn Ellis (CA) to Everyone: @Art: double check if you have the 'Actuals' field configured on the TSV
    from Kathryn Ellis (CA) to Everyone: @Art: double check if you have the 'Actuals' field configured on the TSV within the Cost Plan
    from Art Vendryes to Everyone: @Kathryn, I will do that...the actuals appear for all other resources, just not for one resources
    from Art Vendryes to Everyone: *one of the rexources
    from Marcio to Everyone: I have a customer with the 13.3 and I need migrate to 15.1. It's necessary to migrate for 14.x or can I directly to 15.1
    from Kathryn Ellis (CA) to Everyone: @Art: that sounds like it might be due to grouping on the cost plan ; is the totals reflecting the right amount? maybe it is grouped into another row
    from Art Vendryes to Everyone: @Kathryn: the grouping is on resource class, that is how I discovered it. The resource is the only one in that class
    from Nika Hadzhikidi (CA) to Everyone: @Marcio - yes you can directly upgrade to 15.1. For more information check https://docops.ca.com/ca-ppm/15-1/en/release-information/change-impact-and-upgrade-on-premise/release-15-1-updates-on-premise#Release15.1Updates(OnPremise)-SupportedUpgradePathsforRelease15.1
    from Damon (CA DocOps Team) to Everyone: @Art, Regarding 14.2 PMO Doc, you have several options. You can go to the Schema Index page and download a PMO Overview guide https://www.ca.com/us/services-support/ca-support/ca-support-online/product-content/recommended-reading/product-related-technical-information/ca-ppm-advanced-reporting-and-database-schema-index.html OR you can also use the 14.3 PMO content in docops. It applies to 14.2, 14.3, 14.4, etc.
    from Damon (CA DocOps Team) to Everyone: @Art For the docops option, go to https://docops.ca.com/x/Asj-D
    from Chris Hackett (CA) to Everyone: Any more questions? If not we'll start wrapping up.
    from Art Vendryes to Everyone: @Damon, thank you I will read through them
    from Chris Hackett (CA) to Everyone: OK - We'll go ahead and wrap up for today. Thank you for participating and join us back here in February!
    from Art Vendryes to Everyone: I am trying to identify the access rights to both CA PPM and the reporting
    from Marcio to Everyone: Thanks all!!
    from Chris Hackett (CA) to Everyone: Thanks again everyone!
    from Marcio to Everyone: Cheers @Martti
    from Art Vendryes to Everyone: thank you
    from Martti K to Everyone: Thanks everybody