Service Virtualization

• 1.  Port allocation schemes?

Posted Jan 18, 2017 08:16 AM

Hello, all

I am consolidating virtualized services from two servers that are running their very own 9.1.0 devtest suites (Enterprise Dashboard, Registry, Portal, Coordinator, Simulator and VSE). I would like to streamline services over the two with one Dashboard, a couple of registries, and multiple VSEs to accommodate the many types of users and their needs.

It occurs to me that I am bound to get many questions about port allocation as we are sure to find services with the same port configured. At the same time, I am also envisaging enforcing URLs that can be in DNS giving services well known, meaningful  names that identify their function.

It also occurs to me that DNS names will ultimately resolve to DEVTEST HOST:PORT which means they just need to be unique.

Has anyone experienced this and can give me some advice on allocating ports in a sane way?

Also, is there reason/incentive to move to a devtest release newer than 9.1?

Thanks for any help or comments.

• 2.  Re: Port allocation schemes?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jan 19, 2017 07:17 PM

Hi Jacques,

Are you talking about the port being used by a Virtual Service deployed on a VSE?
    For a client app to connect to the right VS, the combination of hostname, port and basepath should be unique.
    One thing to note is that the VSE allows multiple Virtual Services to use the same port and basepath combination.
    In that case the application connects to one of the Virtual Services.

To check if a port and basepath has already been used before deploying a Virtual Service, in DevTest 9.1 use the Server Console (https://host:1505).
    In the list of Virtual Services of the VSE you can see the ports and basepaths used. See the column: Resource/Type

In DevTest 9.5.1 you will need to use the portal to see this information.

If you are talking about the ports used by the DevTest services/processes like the registry and VSE itself, then for a second DevTest installation on the same machine, all the ports need to be configured differently in the properties files of the second installation.
    For ports already in use on a machine you could use a utility like netstat.

The behaviour regarding ports is largely the same between DevTest 9.1 and 9.5.1 and 10.0
    EOS dates are different for later releases of course.
    See:
    DevTest Solutions Release and Support Lifecycle Dates-CA Technologies 

Regards,
    John

• 3.  Re: Port allocation schemes?

Posted Jan 20, 2017 07:15 AM

John,

Thanks very much.

This confirms much of what I suspected. Still have a question about basepath.

If you have multiple VSEs on the same machine (i.e. VSE1 VSE2, VSE3) does the basepath change? Or are they differentiated? And if so, how? I did not see much explaining this.

Can you elucidate?

Thanks and regards,

-jacques.

• 4.  Re: Port allocation schemes?
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jan 20, 2017 12:11 PM

Jacque,  if you have multiple VSE's on the same machine,  the following must be observed:

a) Each running VSE will require a unique version of local.properties
    b) Each VSE will require a unique lisatmp
    c) Each VSE will require a unique name
    d) Each VSE will require a unique port specified by lisa.net.8

1. So basically you make copies of VirtualServiceEnvironmentService to the following on machine 1:

VirtualServiceEnvironmentService1
    VirtualServiceEnvironmentService2
    VirtualServiceEnvironmentService3

Use the 'SC Create' option to create  Services in Windows.  

2. Make copies of VirtualServiceEnvironmentService.vmoptions to the following for machine 1:

VirtualServiceEnvironmentService1.vmoptions
    VirtualServiceEnvironmentService2.vmoptions
    VirtualServiceEnvironmentService3.vmoptions

3.. Edit each VirtualServiceEnvironmentService(#).vmoptions file to have unique VSEname, port # and log file names and local.properties file as below: 

The properties to be added were:

-Dlisa.vseName=<unique VSE name>
    -Dlisa.net.8.port=<unique port #>
    -DLISA_LOG=,unique log file name>
    -DLISA_LOCAL_PROPERTIES=C:\DevTest10.0.0\local.vse.properties

Repeat #3 for each additional VSE services you want to have. 

Regarding your question on  base path,    if you use  the same port and same base path for the Virtual Services Model then you would have a problem.    The Request Endpoint URL only shows the http://<Hostname:Port >/basepath.   We do not specify in the URL which VSE its running on.   You could have the same service  running on multiple VSE's , you would not know which  model on which VSE picked up the request.  If you have different port /basepath for the model then you would not have any issues.   

Thanks

Shiney 

• 5.  Re: Port allocation schemes?

Posted Jan 20, 2017 12:18 PM

Shiney,

Thanks! That’s great info as well.

Not clear on lisa.net.8. What does that translate to in Linux?

Again, thanks.

-jacques.

• 6.  Re: Port allocation schemes?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jan 20, 2017 12:29 PM

It should be the same...

• 7.  Re: Port allocation schemes?

Posted Jan 20, 2017 12:38 PM

Great!

Thanks so much.

-jacques

• 8.  Re: Port allocation schemes?

Posted Jan 20, 2017 01:17 PM

Another question that I have not seen much discussion on.

What the relative gains/liabilities of having multiple Simulators?

Any downsides?

Again, thanks.

-jacques.