Rally Software

• 1.  Test Cases assigned to defects lost when splitting stories

Posted Jan 18, 2017 09:03 AM

Hello,

I'm having an issue with test cases attached to defects and splitting stories. Here is the basic scenario of the process we follow:

1. Create a bunch of test cases attached to a user story. (from the story UI, Test Cases tab)

2. To go Test Run tab and start adding results and defects for each test case.

3. Once the sprint is up and the story still has open defects, the story needs to be split.

4. The Split Story screen lets you choose what to do with the assigned defects and test cases - you can leave them behind or move them to the new one. So we move the unfinished defects and leave the finished ones behind. We split the story directly without creating a parent.

There seems to be a limitation where each defect assigned to a user story can only refer to a test case from that particular story.

So I'm faced with the following choice:

Option 1: Leave test cases referring to finished defects in the old story. This preserves the defect to test case relationships, but leaves my test cases scattered across multiple stories.

Option 2: Move all test cases to the new story. (I can't move the defects as well, since there's work done there already). This means that all my test cases are in the same story, as I want them to be, but the finished defects left behind no longer have test cases attached to them.

I'm not sure if using a parent story when splitting could solve this, but I'd like to avoid that if at all possible.

I've been using Rally for years, but this is the first time I'm using it for test cases, so there might be something very simple I'm missing. Ideally, I'd like to just remove the restriction, so that when a defect is attached to a story, I can attach any existing test case to it as well. If that's not possible, any reasonable workaround would also help.

Any help or comments would be highly appreciated!

• 2.  Re: Test Cases assigned to defects lost when splitting stories
    Best Answer

Posted Jan 24, 2017 11:17 AM

Thanks for your question.  I can agree that you describe a limitation to the way Agile Central implements Test Cases for split stories.  My only suggestion at this point would be for you to move the test cases to the story in the new iteration (to keep them together), then add a Discussion note in the defect as to which test case to use as it's reference.  It's not a great work around, but the best I can offer at this time.

• 3.  Re: Test Cases assigned to defects lost when splitting stories

Posted Jan 24, 2017 03:07 PM

Thank you for the reply. I'll follow your advice and keep the test cases in the new story when splitting. I guess I'll need to come up with a different way to keep track of the defects to test cases relationships, perhaps notes or discussions.