DX Application Performance Management

• 1.  MQ Tracing - Header Insertion

Posted Jan 19, 2017 03:24 AM

Hi All,

For java - MQ tracing , we turn on tracing in MQAgent.properties, which is one of the many steps. By default , MQ header insertion and read are enabled. This always created issues in customers applications as they dont allow any changes in mq header.

How are we supposed to do this then?  I believe none of the customers allow such changes?

Geethu

• 2.  Re: MQ Tracing - Header Insertion
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jan 19, 2017 05:13 AM

Hello Geethu,

Yes, by default the header insertion is On and customers can turn it Off
    Based on my research, I am not sure all the customers have problem with that
    Does he want the default value to be false? In that case, transaction trace might get disturbed, from https://docops.ca.com/ca-apm/10-5/en/extending/ibm-websphere-mq/mqagent-properties-file#MQAgent.propertiesFile-mq.headerinsertion.enabled

+++

mq.headerinsertion.enabled
    This property is used to enable MQRFH2 or JMS header insertion which is ***needed for correlating MQ Connector calls with other Java Components. ***

Regards,

Sergio

• 3.  Re: MQ Tracing - Header Insertion

Posted Jan 19, 2017 10:44 PM

Hi Sergio,

Thanks for reply.

None of my customers allow anything to be added in their mq header as part of message validation in their application process flow. The message recipients will just reject those messages and then the applications would start behaving abnormal.

So we set those properties to false.

I wonder how other customers are, whether they allow additional parameters in their mq header . I want to know industry wide standard practice.

If anyone has done, please share how these were configured?

Geethu

• 4.  Re: MQ Tracing - Header Insertion

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jan 20, 2017 08:45 AM

Hi Geethu,
    If you have MQ JMS Application – you can disable header insertion and use 10.3 + Agent which has JMS correlation support, see CA APM Release Notes - CA Application Performance Management - 10.3 - CA Technologies Documentation 

Thanks,

Sergio

• 5.  Re: MQ Tracing - Header Insertion

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jan 19, 2017 09:15 AM

Hi Geethu,

Was your question answered by Sergio?

Thanks,
    Matt

• 6.  Re: MQ Tracing - Header Insertion

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jan 20, 2017 07:53 AM

Hi Geethu:

It looks like Sergio has answered your question so marking as correct. Your response is more of a nature of a discussion. I hope that you and others continue this important discussion on mq headers

Thanks

Hal German