DX Application Performance Management

• 1.  Re: epagent alerts within Team Center

Posted Jan 19, 2017 03:45 AM

Hello Guenter/Davis,

Could anyone helping me to explore this more.

We have just upgraded to 10.2 and now client is asking to modify old customize dashboard to team center.

Can anyone help me to configure 1 as no clear documentation is on different views and attributes.

Thanks

Vaibhav

• 2.  Re: epagent alerts within Team Center
    Best Answer

Posted Jan 19, 2017 09:00 AM

Vaibhav,

Is the client using epagents or is everything based on the application (java/.net) agents?

If you have dashboard artifacts that have epagent, and you would like those metrics to appear on Team Center, it can be done, just a bit messy.

The Team Center is focused on the base five KPI (average response time, responses per interval, concurrent invocations, errors and stalls). With that, only front end/back end elements are displayed.   

Even if you use the "Hostname" perspective, the alert summary and basic attributes do not reflect the epagent custom plugin metrics.

If your dashboards are based on the application agents but there are other metrics other than the OOTB five, then if you figure that out, would like to know also since even the alerts on the right of Team Center seems to only have alerts that are bound to one of the five KPI and not all of the alerts defined within a management module for a host or application.

If the custom dashboards contain elements that are not the five KPI, then you can add a dashboard URL as a custom attribute on a node so more details could be found.

From all of my looking, Team Center is not defined, nor does it have enough customization points to be a dashboard replacement.  

I stopped down this rabbit hole when I found that there are more features for Team Center within 10.2, 10.3 and 10.5.  We are on 10.0 with plans to upgrade to 10.5.

Hope this helps,

Billy

• 3.  Re: epagent alerts within Team Center

Posted Jan 23, 2017 09:25 PM

Hello Billy,

We are utilizing 6 kind of agent(EPAgent,PERFMONAgent,WeblogcAgent,EMSAgent,MQAgent,TIBCOBWAgent) as of now and dashboards are prepared with the help of metrics from each of the agent.

We have around 400 dashboards which user is asking to migrate to perspective.

What I found is - webview is working very slow and while creating attributes, it never gives any error but shows counting.Neither we found any clear instruction like what is the meaning of an existing attribute like 'wsOperation, wsNameSpace etc'

I have checked multiple videos,docs but did not found anything relevant which can help in creating a beginner perspective.

My location is Singapore and I am deputed at client location. Let me know if someone can help on webex to start.

Thanks

Vaibhav

• 4.  Re: epagent alerts within Team Center

Posted Jan 24, 2017 08:27 AM

1. Webview is working very slowly

Have you configured the webview agent within the webview.lax file?  Have you deployed the webview management module?  Both of these help put some of the performance issues in webview in perspective... (lol, see what I did there)

We had an slowness with webview and we increased the memory by the webview.lax file to 3 GB and that appears to help.  Depending on how many elements WebView has to deal with, results may vary.

2.  You gotta give me a bit more than the attribute name or attribute value.  is 'wsOperation" an attribute if so what is the value, if it is an attribute value, then what was the attribute name. 

Each of the different agents will have a standard set of basic attributes.  Wished I could screen shot one of my team center nodes, but since the screen shot has server names and such, I am not allowed unless I blank out all of the nouns, but at that point, there isn't a point.

Away from the basic attributes, each agent will declare other attributes and appear to be very broad depending on the agents you are using. 

3.  Creating a beginning perspective

We are on version 10.0 and there are some features in 10.2 and 10.5 that might help with building up your perspectives.  For my first perspective, I started with the Hostname out of the box perspective and add a custom attribute that would be meaningful to the profile user for that perspective.  Such as CRM, Mobile, WebServices, if your hosts can be divided into like nodes.  Try to use the nouns that the end user would recognize.

Then you can add a new perspective using your new custom attribute as one of the defined levels.  In my case, it was Environment

You could give your perspective name something that the end user would identify with.  Production Support, NOC, Environment, etc.

For a beginning perspective, you really need to know your end users, their profiles, what are interested in, which group, which applications, which business elements or are you talking enterprise wide beginning perspective, sort of like the big "your business is doing" status button?

If it is a big button, then create a new custom attribute, company and tag everything through a rule to have everything in one node.  Then build a perspective "company" that will basically have one single node with the alert counts and such on it.

I'm taking a slightly different route.  Instead of trying to fit our best guess dashboards, metrics and the other parts into team center, I'm trying to use the native elements of team center to define or provide nouns and verbs to define the end users.  Yes, the majority of our dashboard effort was to try to discover the nouns and verbs from the end user view, and that has us caught up in the misconceptions of what APM is, how it can help and how APM will relate data, actions and targets.

Then once the base nouns and verbs are not enough, then I link in a dashboard with a URL link to the nodes within Team Center to change the dictionary away from the team center nouns and verbs to the custom end user terms.

Hope this helps,

Billy

• 5.  Re: epagent alerts within Team Center

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jan 19, 2017 09:44 AM

Dear Vaibhav:

Since some time has passed and is a new environment, branching into a new question. Was Billy's response helpful?

thanks

Hal German

• 6.  Re: epagent alerts within Team Center

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jan 20, 2017 07:56 AM

Dear Vaibhav:

I see no response to Billy's detailed comments. So marking as answered. You may respond to his note and post additional questions as needed

Thanks

Hal German