Rally Software

• 1.  Creating Release Notes from Rally

Posted Jan 19, 2017 05:37 PM

Is there a way in Rally to export or publish a list of User Stories & Defects that are in a given release, for creating end user documentation?

These are not users who have access to, or would want to see, all the detail in Rally, so I'm not looking or a report or view within the tool.

• 2.  Re: Creating Release Notes from Rally

Posted Jan 24, 2017 09:04 AM

You can absolutely do this, and there are a handful of ways to get it done but the simplest is probably to set up a custom list(s) with columns for the fields that you want in your release notes, filter it on the target release and then export to CSV. You could also use the Excel Add-In for Agile Central and query that way. Hope that helps!

• 3.  Re: Creating Release Notes from Rally

Posted Jan 24, 2017 10:04 AM

chris.lalande this is definitely the best answer! I'd say use that custom list app and export to CSV. That's what I've done in the past, works great!

• 4.  Re: Creating Release Notes from Rally

Posted Jan 27, 2017 01:37 PM

That’s at least a good starting point.

What I was really hoping for was a way to take this data and post it to a wiki / document / website as a permanent record and documentation for users.   Ideally that would include links into the associated Rally User Stories (for those who want to see the detail and have access to Rally).    This can be copy / paste but ideally I’d like a little more friendly formatting than trying to grab stuff out of Excel.

- Chris

• 5.  Re: Creating Release Notes from Rally

Posted Jan 27, 2017 01:43 PM

I'm pretty sure that Eric would love to share this with you, but I'm going to anyway. Check this out! I use it ALL THE TIME!  RALLY MAILER - Chrome Web Store 

• 6.  Re: Creating Release Notes from Rally

Posted Jan 27, 2017 01:45 PM

Jinx! Posted the same answer at the same time ;-)

• 7.  Re: Creating Release Notes from Rally

Posted Jan 27, 2017 01:44 PM

Chris, if you can live with just the story name and a hyperlinked Formatted ID then you should check out the Rally Mailer plugin for Chrome. One of my developers built it and made it available for free in the Chrome web store. I use it all the time and JohnStreeter actually uses it for the Fixed Defects posts that we get here. Hope that helps.

• 8.  Re: Creating Release Notes from Rally

Posted Jan 27, 2017 02:12 PM

Slick.   Getting closer.

Worth noting, when I copy / paste either using the “add to clipboard” button or copy / pasting from the popup itself, I’m not getting the link brought along (though the link is “live” if I click on it).   This is on Chrome on a Mac.    It would be better if it did indeed bring the link along (though I understand the appeal of plain text copy / paste), as lots of times I want to drop that information into an existing email thread.

- Chris

• 9.  Re: Creating Release Notes from Rally

Posted Jan 27, 2017 02:31 PM

Odd... first time I've heard of that but most of my users are PC and copy/paste of the hyperlinked text works just fine for us. If you or a developer want to tinker then the code is at GitHub - tbpoore/RallyMailerChromeExtension so feel free to have at it!

• 10.  Re: Creating Release Notes from Rally

Posted Jan 27, 2017 02:45 PM

Chris - I'm using Chrome on Mac and it does work for me most of the time, meaning that it does also copy the link to each work item and shows it as the Formatted ID. That is most of the time, though - sometimes I have to refresh the page and then it works.