DX Application Performance Management

• 1.  Error occurred and could not register Business Definitions

Posted Jan 24, 2017 01:14 PM

A few years ago there was an error that is generated if you turn off CEM/TIM and the solution was to increase the logging level to fatal so not to see the errors.

00/00/00 hh:mm:ss AM EST [ERROR] [IntroscopeAgent.BizTrxDef] Error occurred and could not register Business Definitions

BizTrxDef "Error occurred and could not register Business Definitions" in the IntroscopeAgent.log 

Is there a supported way in 10.5 to disable CEM/TIM that will not generate these errors?

Thank you,

Billy

• 2.  Re: Error occurred and could not register Business Definitions

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jan 24, 2017 01:31 PM

Billy:

To the best of my knowledge, nothing has changed in 10.5 for this issue. I see in this old thread that disabling the pbd eliminates the errors . But brings new errors :-)

v9111 agent throwing Biz Definition ERRORs 

Sounds like an enhancement suggestion.

Thanks

Hal German

• 3.  Re: Error occurred and could not register Business Definitions

Posted Jan 24, 2017 02:01 PM

Thanks Hal.

What I find strange is there are references in the installation/upgrade section about having "Introscope-only-environment", but does have the CEM console for agent recording.

https://docops.ca.com/ca-apm/10/en/installing/ca-apm-environment-options/introscope-only-environment

Or in the standalone environment, does not list TIM, but does have the CEM console for agent recording.

https://docops.ca.com/ca-apm/10/en/installing/ca-apm-environment-options/standalone-environment

Unlike the Clustered Environment that lists the TIM(s)

https://docops.ca.com/ca-apm/10/en/installing/ca-apm-environment-options/clustered-environment

So in the TIM-less environments, I'm guessing that the CEM processes are not present.

We ran into a problem where the CEM processes were driving memory and CPU use.  Even after uninstalling postgres and installing a clean postgres, without imported data, the processes continued to chew up enterprise manager resources.  So we asked CA Support how to disable CEM and they gave us the flags in the EM configuration files to stop having the CEM processes and the CEM interface.

The flip side of this is the application agents producing the error messages and if we don't want to see them, turn logging up to fatal. 

I couldn't sell the just turn logging to fatal option so we basically let the error messages appear in the logs and basically ignore them.  We have been doing that for over a year now.

So if there is an documented and supported option to run Introscope Only APM, wouldn't this be considered a bug and not an enhancement request?

What am I missing?

Thank you,

Billy

• 4.  Re: Error occurred and could not register Business Definitions
    Best Answer

Posted Jan 24, 2017 03:21 PM

Billy,

It sounds like what you're missing is the value of the Business Transactions, and everything built on top of them!  

Business Transactions provide the user friendly name to what's happening in the system.  It's the identifier most people would recognize that differentiates "Order" from "Search" or any other transaction in the system.

Although there are a couple of ways to get Business Transactions defined, Agent Recording is best way to get user friendly Business Transaction names if you don't have TIMs in the network.  

Business Transactions are one of the cornerstones in the product.  For example, they define many of the experiences that we leverage in the Triage Map, Experience View, and Assisted Triage.  

Ultimately, it's "Introscope Only" because you're not using the TIMs.

Running without anything CEM or things Postgres related is definitely not the idea or direction for the product.  In fact, merging them is when it started to be called APM - about 7 years ago.   A lot of the value in the solution over that 7 years, but especially in the past few years, is related to better associating the experience to the infrastructure.   Further, this contributes to making it simpler for people who are not experts to use the solution.

Regards,

Tim