CA Service Management

• 1.  Modifying existing plugin to fetch dropdown property values from CA SDM

Posted Jan 25, 2017 12:01 PM
    Hi,  I'm trying to achieve the same customization which is described in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ls-UcbDrK1Y&t=562s However I'm stuck at last part regarding customization of existing plugin which should show dropdown property values from CA Service Desk. It seems to me this part isn't explained very well in video. Does someone have experience in customizing Service Catalog plugins? What are exact steps I should take to successfully customize ca.catalog.servicedesk-select-plugin to fetch values from dropdown property of CA SDM?

Thank you!

Regards,
    Vedran

• 2.  Re: Modifying existing plugin to fetch dropdown property values from CA SDM

Posted Jan 25, 2017 03:41 PM

Hi Vedran,

I would recommend taking a look at the following technical document which outlines how to copy/modify API plugins:

https://www.ca.com/us/services-support/ca-support/ca-support-online/knowledge-base-articles.tec1267716.html 

As far as what exactly needs to be changed, this will be dependent on the data you are trying to pull from SDM however you will likely need to change the web service call:

response = this.wsSoap.doSelect(sessionID, "pcat", "ss_include = 1 AND cr_flag = 1", -1, new String[] { "persistent_id", "sym" });

The noted youtube video gives a couple different examples (@9:33) of using getPropertyInfoForCategory as well as doSelect methods to grab SDM data. For this you will need to identify what SDM data you are trying to retrieve and which SDM method can access the same. Following SDM web service doc may be helpful:

Web Services Methods - CA Service Management - 14.1 - CA Technologies Documentation 

Thanks,
    Jason

• 3.  Re: Modifying existing plugin to fetch dropdown property values from CA SDM

Posted Jan 26, 2017 11:06 AM

I don't want to question how you're doing things but why do you complicate your life with a Java plugin to access data available in the MDB?

We use java plugins to query information from Active Directory, but we use report object to get data from SDM.

• 4.  Re: Modifying existing plugin to fetch dropdown property values from CA SDM

Posted Jan 26, 2017 11:28 AM

Thank you for your answer. Can you please explain a little more how to use report objects to get data from SDM on CA Service Catalog form? Or you can point me on some documentation. Sorry, I'm new in CA SC.

• 5.  Re: Modifying existing plugin to fetch dropdown property values from CA SDM

Posted Jan 26, 2017 11:54 AM

Sure :

Change the query. You MUST have 2 columns in order to use it with a select or a dual list. One for label, one for value.

Always think to add a meaningfull ID. Otherwise you will be stuck with the default Alien ID.

Form designer, new form. Add a select component. Change its Report/ Plug-in Id.

Have fun.

• 6.  Re: Modifying existing plugin to fetch dropdown property values from CA SDM

Posted Jan 31, 2017 04:32 AM

Thank you pier-olivier.tremblay this is truly helpful. But I have another question. Any ideas how can I show values from property dropdown for selected category as "properties" column in Prob_Category table only exists in Object Engine? Maybe in this case there isn't other option than to use Java plugin?

• 7.  Re: Modifying existing plugin to fetch dropdown property values from CA SDM

• 8.  Re: Modifying existing plugin to fetch dropdown property values from CA SDM

Posted Jan 31, 2017 10:12 AM

Hi Vedran,

I've never had to query those tables but after a quick look in the database, it seems you need to query cr_prptpl, prpval, prpval_rule and prob_ctg.

Query looks like 

select
    pcat.sym as [Area name] ,
    prptpl.label as [Property name],
    valrule.sym as [Validation rule name],
    prpval.description as [Property label],
    prpval.value as [Property possible value]
    from mdb.dbo.prob_ctg pcat
    inner join mdb.dbo.cr_prptpl prptpl
         on prptpl.owning_area=pcat.persid
    left join mdb.dbo.prpval_rule valrule
         on valrule.id=prptpl.validation_rule