Test Data Manager

• 1.  How to use a masked value from a different table?

Posted Feb 01, 2017 01:08 AM

Which function in FDM enables to refer to a column from a different table also participating in masking in the same transformation map, such that the masked value in the referenced table reflects in the referencing table based on a condition?

Please advise.

Thanks,

Ekta.

• 2.  Re: How to use a masked value from a different table?

Posted Feb 01, 2017 01:25 PM

Hi Ekta,

Can you please provide an example of what you are trying to achieve?

For example, if you wish to mask column ColA1 from Table A, are you wanting the value to come from ColB1 of Table B, based on a WHERE condition? 

Once you provide more details, I'll try to help further.

Thanks,

Sameer

• 3.  Re: How to use a masked value from a different table?

Posted Feb 02, 2017 02:42 AM

Hi Sameer,

Yes the example you have stated above is exactly what I am trying to achieve.

(example)I wish to mask column customer_name from purchase table, and want the value to come from customer_name of customer table, such that customer_id is same(condition). And customer_name in customer table is also being masked and is part of the same transformation map.

Thanks,

Ekta

• 4.  Re: How to use a masked value from a different table?
    Best Answer

Posted Feb 03, 2017 09:10 AM

Hi Ekta,

What you are requesting is not possible currently through FDM.

You could instead achieve consistent masking, that is, you can create your maps such that if name X gets masked to Y in the customer table, the same name X will get masked to Y also in the purchase table. This can be done using a HASH function, for example HASHLOV, or cross-referencing.

If you still wish to pursue your original requirement, you will need to submit an enhancement request. To do so, please post an 'Idea' on the TDM Community page here:

https://communities.ca.com/community/ca-devtest-community/content?filterID=contentstatus%5Bpublished%5D~category%5Bca-test-data-manager%5D

(Content -> (Actions) -> Create an Idea)

Please also include the business need for this enhancement, how soon you would need it, and the potential business impact if it is not provided.

You and other community users will be able to 'vote' for this enhancement request. It will be reviewed by product managers at frequent intervals who will decide if the enhancement will be added to the product and when. You will be notified of the enhancement request's progress by the Idea post being marked as 'Under Review', 'Currently Planned' , or 'Delivered' by CA.

Thanks,

Sameer

• 5.  Re: How to use a masked value from a different table?

Posted Mar 13, 2017 12:39 PM

Thanks a lot Sameer, I was able to proceed using HASLOV option for now.