Clarity

• 1.  Actual Hours by Goal in Jaspersoft Ad-Hoc

Posted Feb 01, 2017 11:04 AM

Hi all. I'm still struggling with Ad-Hoc reporting. I'm trying to learn.

Goal - Question - Metric

Goal: Ensure we're spending our resource $$ (Labor Actual Hours, Labor Actual Cost) on highly aligned activities (Investment Goal).

Question: For Date Range X, what is the Time & Cost spend by Investment Goal?

Metric(s):

- Historic Time by Goal: Labor Actual Hours by Goal, filtered for Date Range.

- Historic Cost by Goal: Labor Actual Cost by Goal, filtered for Date Range.

- Forecast Time by Goal: Allocation Hours by Goal, filtered for Date Range.

- Forecast Cost by Goal: Allocation Cost by Goal, filtered for Date Range.

Jumping into Ad-Hoc to try to prototype the Historic Time by Goal report above, I create the following collection of data from the Investment Domain (Goal is not available in the Resource Domain). Filtering for our last full fiscal year:

Switching it to a Chart:

I'm comfortable with the technical mechanics of the Jaspersoft Ad-Hoc.

- Conceptually, am I lost? If so, how do I get found? Most training I've seen is mechanics of tool based. Do I need something more "Domains and how to use 'em"?

- Given the requirement above, what am I doing wrong? I notice everything appears to be "line itemed" in the table view. This is not how Webi works. Do I need to create a calculated field where I somehow perform a select distinct to roll this together by Goal?

Thanks!

• 2.  Re: Actual Hours by Goal in Jaspersoft Ad-Hoc

Posted Feb 06, 2017 04:50 PM

I haven't done any work in generating an adhoc query, but this will be coming for our organization since the 'Capitalization' reports aren't exactly what we're looking for.

We have experimented with the two methods in recording the Costs of task efforts:

1. Timesheet entry, and
    2. WIP entry.

Timesheet (or perhaps both) have a number of preconditions, the most detailed for us is development of the Rate Matrix.

You may want to perform a bit of 'Control' data entry through a Timesheet to display in the Investment's Financial Plan and Hierarchy page so that you'll know what data you've got when you get it. Entry of Timesheet data then has the requisite of running the 'Post*' jobs to update the ACWP and Actual Costs on Investments.

I'll keep you (and the group) posted if I take up this endeavour.

Cheers,

Will