Clarity

Expand all | Collapse all

Can I nest locations (Location OBS) under a parent?

• 1.  Can I nest locations (Location OBS) under a parent?

Posted Feb 02, 2017 05:59 PM

In our projects and ideas we have a location field that uses the location OBS.  When in a project and we click browse to populate this field we see all of the children (locations) without having to expand a parent field (see screenshot below).  I'd expect (and we want) this to show up as a parent (SHS) that has to be expanded to show the 5 locations rather than seeing the parent and children all together.

I've looked at our 3 different OBS's (location and 2 department) and they all look the same, so I'm not sure why location is displaying differently when I browse the location field within a project/idea (the department OBS have the children nested under the parent).

Is there a way to nest the locations under a parent? If so how would I do that?

Thanks,

Alex

• 2.  Re: Can I nest locations (Location OBS) under a parent?
    Best Answer

Posted Feb 03, 2017 02:00 AM

My short answer is no.

It is determined by the lookup used for the location attribute. The location attribute of the project object is OOTB and therefore you cannot change the lookup associated with it.

You cannot change the lookup associated with an attribute.

You would have to delete the attribute and recreate it and associate it with an OBS Browse type lookup.

That would make you to choose the OBS (Location) first before you can choose a unit.

You cannot delete OOTB attributes even if you wanted to do that.

• 3.  Re: Can I nest locations (Location OBS) under a parent?

Posted Feb 03, 2017 10:47 AM

Thank you!