DX Application Performance Management

• 1.  Use APM to monitor Queue Manager "config events"

Posted Feb 03, 2017 09:00 AM

Customer has need to monitor config events from the queue manager. Config events are like create/alter/delete objects. I am using the MQ Powerpack to monitor the queue managers currently but I do not see a place to add config events similar to how we add the CHANNEL, QMGR, and PERFORMANCE events. The default queue is "SYSTEM.ADMIN.CONFIG.EVENTS".

Is this possible with APM?

Thanks for any help on this subject.

• 2.  Re: Use APM to monitor Queue Manager "config events"
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Feb 05, 2017 04:47 PM

Hi Jordan,

I found a recent case where our Engineering team provided this advice:

MQMonitor is only capable of collecting the following events - performance events, channel events and queue manager events and it does support the collection of Command events and Config events.
    With that said, for a test to do destructive GET for Command and Config events, you could try setting one to 'qmgr' and one for 'performance' and verify i.e.
    QM@hostname.qmgr.event.queue = SYSTEM.ADMIN.COMMAND.EVENT
    QM@hostname.performance.event.queue = SYSTEM.ADMIN.CONFIG.EVENT

I am also thinking you would also need to give the required access to those 2 queues per the OOTB security requirements

Extending > IBM WebSphere MQ > Set Security Requirements to Monitor an MQ object

Hope that helps

Regards,

Lynn

• 3.  Re: Use APM to monitor Queue Manager "config events"

Posted Feb 06, 2017 09:18 AM

Thanks for the reply. I will try this. So I guess for this to work I should expect to have to choose between QMGR events or COMMAND events and PERFM events or CONFIG events. So it may not be worth it in the end. I will give this a test though.

Does the destructive get flag have to be on?

• 4.  Re: Use APM to monitor Queue Manager "config events"

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Feb 06, 2017 09:59 AM

Lynn_Williams any thoughts on Jordan's last question?

Thanks

Hal German

• 5.  Re: Use APM to monitor Queue Manager "config events"

Posted Feb 06, 2017 10:53 AM

After changing these to read from the CONFIG and COMMAND queues I honestly didn't notice any difference in metrics. I'm not entirely sure where these new metrics might show though.

Thanks for the help on this, I am going to let him know we cannot consume these config events.

P.S. The customer was interested in knowing when queues get deleted, specifically dead letter queue, in case you know another way we can detect that using APM.

• 6.  Re: Use APM to monitor Queue Manager "config events"

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Feb 06, 2017 12:06 PM

Dear Jordan:

I am going to mark as answered since the original question was answered. Lynn_Williams was contacted on the follow-up questions.

Thanks

Hal German

• 7.  Re: Use APM to monitor Queue Manager "config events"

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Feb 06, 2017 05:36 PM

Hi Jordan,

Apologies, I inadvertently left destructive advice in from original Engineer comment which was geared to cleaning up the messages after read.

I was subsequently thinking a separate agent reading from CONFIG & COMMAND queues would allow you to keep QMGR and PERFM queues for original agent, but if the metrics did not display as expected the potential workaround to get CONFIG & COMMAND events is probably not as simple as we hoped.

Sorry, I also don't know of another way to detect queue deletions with APM OOTB

Regards,

Lynn

• 8.  Re: Use APM to monitor Queue Manager "config events"

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Feb 06, 2017 09:00 AM

Hi Jordan:

Was Lynn's answer helpful on this issue? Or do you need additional assistance or have any follow-up questions ? Please let us know.

Thanks

Hal German