Symantec Access Management

• 1.  Session Linker Question

Posted Feb 03, 2017 03:18 PM

Hi,

Many years ago our company used CA's Session Linker for PeopleSoft.  I think it may have run on IHS 2.0 at the time so the web server was very old. It worked well but one of the complaints was that the session linker caused very long times for web servers to start/stop.

I'm looking for experience/thoughts from others that are using it today.  Now that it is bundled with CA SSO, we may expand its use for SAP, WebSphere, ...    There is some concern that the session linker will hurt our ability to restart many web servers quickly to fix production issues when needed.

Is anyone using this today with R12.5X or newer?   If so, any concerns about its performance today?

Cheers, Jim

• 2.  Re: Session Linker Question

Posted Feb 17, 2017 06:53 AM

Hi Jim!

I haven't used this "in the real world" but tested it as a possible solution to a problem here and found that while they now have the SiteMinder SessionLinker log to the SiteMinder Web Agent's Logs, the SiteMinder SessionLinker Daemon still uses its own log without rolling, which my company decided meant we can't use it as we have a requirement for basic logging on the chance of an issue. (there has to be something to help us if a problem occurs)

If you do decide to use it, i would suggest upvoting this: Add Log Rotation to the  Session Linker 

-Josh

• 3.  Re: Session Linker Question

Posted Feb 17, 2017 01:15 PM

Hi Jim,

Were you aware that the way Session Linker was built into the product was to add it as a feature to the Secure Proxy Server (aka CA Gateway Servers)? So if you front end your apps that have their own sessions with the CA Gateway Servers then your web servers won't be running any Session Linker components and thus shouldn't have any long shutdown/startup problems.

I don't have any direct experience with CA Gateway Servers, so I don't know how long they take to startup/shutdown.

Rick