DX Application Performance Management

Expand all | Collapse all

How do we monitor web services without UI recording?

• 1.  How do we monitor web services without UI recording?

Posted Feb 03, 2017 12:52 PM

I am trying to create a file to monitor web services we provide to one of our clients. We do not have no access to the UI. I created JMX files (no recording) however the tool will not accept them. They validate just fine, but I receive the following error when I test the monitor: 

• The monitor seems to return an error. We suggest you close this dialog and configure the monitor correctly. Alternatively, you can test again or ignore the error and continue anyway.

How do we monitor web services without a web site recording??

• 2.  Re: How do we monitor web services without UI recording?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Feb 06, 2017 09:21 AM

Dear Heather:

I am trying to get someone to respond

Thanks

Hal German

• 3.  Re: How do we monitor web services without UI recording?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Feb 06, 2017 10:12 AM

Hi Heather:

Can you be more specific on which UI and tool you are referring to. Is this ASM?  Browser Recorder? Agent Recorder, CEM? 

More details and a screenshot of you testing this would help

Thanks

Hal German

• 4.  Re: How do we monitor web services without UI recording?

Posted Feb 06, 2017 11:03 AM

Hi Hal,

This is the ASM tool. No browser recording.

Heather

• 5.  Re: How do we monitor web services without UI recording?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Feb 06, 2017 10:57 AM

Hello Heather,

If I understand, you are trying to manually create JMeter scripts and you don't have access to the application but our checkpoints do.

Although, this should work, it will be very difficult to confirm that the script is 100% correct without being able to test it locally

I suggest you to get the appropriate permissions to the application so you can fix the JMeter script locally as obviously it has some kind of error, script maintenance will make it much easier

Regards,

Sergio

• 6.  Re: How do we monitor web services without UI recording?

Posted Feb 06, 2017 11:11 AM

Hi Sergio,

I actually have the JMX scripts created. But they were not created with a HTTP recorder in JMeter as per the documentation I found for ASM. We created and host these web services for one of our biggest clients. They are experiencing production errors which we are not catching due to another team's currently incorrect monitoring scripts. The scripts run just fine locally via JMeter and the incorporated assertions are returning correct results according to the data provided.

On a side note, I am not part of the Enterprise Management Tools team, but rather the Automated QA Team. The scripts I create are the scripts I use to test the functionality and  performance of the services. It would be very useful if we could integrate our SoapUI scripts, which are XML, for the monitoring of any services. If this is a current functionality of the tool, would you please direct me to where I can find this information and how to set this up? Thank you very much for your help!

Heather

• 7.  Re: How do we monitor web services without UI recording?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Feb 06, 2017 11:18 AM

Heather,

It looks similar to this idea:

Integrate with SOAP UI 

If this is the case, I suggest you to vote up for this request for enhancement

Regards,

Sergio

• 8.  Re: How do we monitor web services without UI recording?

Posted Feb 06, 2017 11:36 AM

Sergio,

That's great but what do we do in the mean time? This does not solve our current issue. We need a solution. Any ideas?

Heather 

• 9.  Re: How do we monitor web services without UI recording?
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Feb 06, 2017 12:03 PM

Hello Heather,

You mentioned that the scripts validate fine in Jmeter, right? Was this verified using a listener in Jmeter (View Results in Table/ Tree)? If so, please be aware that ASM currently only supports up to Jmeter 2.13 (this issue can happen when uploading scripts created in Jmeter 3.0 +). In this case, try opening and then saving the scrip as a new name in Jmeter 2.13 and re-upload to ASM. Otherwise, it be best to create a support ticket with the name of the monitor you are having issues with and we can investigate further.

Regards,

Tom

• 10.  Re: How do we monitor web services without UI recording?

Posted Feb 06, 2017 12:17 PM

Thank you Tom. I will give that a try. Unfortunately, I don't see an option in JMeter to save the file to an earlier version. I will respond once I have tried this solution.

Heather

• 11.  Re: How do we monitor web services without UI recording?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Feb 06, 2017 12:10 PM

Hi Heather:

You asked what could be done as of now. Tom has provided a possible workaround. Please let us know if that was helpful. If that is unsuccessful, please open a case as suggested. You may also ask follow-up questions and post the resolution found after opening the case here as well.

Thanks

Hal German

• 12.  Re: How do we monitor web services without UI recording?

Posted Feb 06, 2017 05:11 PM

Thank you both for your help and I apologize for the delay in updating you with my progress.

I have successfully created and implemented a JMX monitor. The JMeter version was the issue. Thanks again for your help!!!

Heather

• 13.  Re: How do we monitor web services without UI recording?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Feb 06, 2017 05:20 PM

Dear Heather:

Thank you for the great news and for Tom_Wyszomierski for determining the issue. You can still vote on the enhancement request for a mid-term improvement

Hal German