IDMS

• 1.  Updates in Local mode?

Posted Feb 10, 2017 10:22 AM

I would like to be able to ensure that no UPDATE jobs are running on my IDMS systems in LOCAL Mode. Who has a good way of doing that? Should I look for JCL that executes IDMS but doesn't have SYSCTL DD (this seems pretty difficult). Is there a DD that has to be coded in JCL to specify a Journal for Local mode update jobs that I can look for? Is there a process I can monitor for to see if it is being run?

• 2.  Re: Updates in Local mode?
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Feb 10, 2017 10:54 AM

JCL to access IDMS database files without SYSCTL is one good way to know if the job is running Local.

As far as a DD for a "Tape Journal" file used for local journaling, it would have to match the DD assigned in the TAPE JOURNAL definition in the DMCL used for the batch jobs.

A DMCL can either define DISK JOURNALs (CV only) or a TAPE JOURNAL so a DMCL for local journaling would have to be a special DMCL that is not used by CV but is specifically for local batch journaling.

Most sites have any authorized Batch jobs to access IDMS submitted only by a scheduler product, so if the Dataset security in your external security manager is set up so that only the special Scheduler Userid and the Userids under which the CVs run are the only userids authorized to update the files in question that is how many shops prevent unauthorized batch update jobs.   

• 3.  Re: Updates in Local mode?

Posted Feb 10, 2017 12:21 PM

The way I do this is to run SMF reports using the dataset name for record type 15, SMF writes records for job that writes to a dataset. Just because a job does not have the SYSCTL dataset in it does not mean it's a local mode update job. I'm sure there are other ways to this but what I have used for years.

• 4.  Re: Updates in Local mode?

Posted Feb 10, 2017 01:05 PM
      |   view attached

Are you wanting to look in real time or look back to see that none have run in the past day / week / month /

Chris Hoelscher

Technology Architect, Database Infrastructure Services

Technology Solution Services

: humana.com

123 East Main Street

Louisville, KY 40202

Humana.com

(502) 714-8615, (502) 476-2538

• 5.  Re: Updates in Local mode?

Posted Feb 14, 2017 12:53 PM
      |   view attached

Secure the database datasets externally acf2, etc.) –

-          Give the CV id update access and selected jobs read access – I would think that would do the trick

Chris Hoelscher

Technology Architect, Database Infrastructure Services

Technology Solution Services

: humana.com

123 East Main Street

Louisville, KY 40202

Humana.com

(502) 714-8615, (502) 476-2538

• 6.  Re: Updates in Local mode?

Posted Feb 14, 2017 02:48 PM

We did what Chris suggests. 

Use ACF2 to secure the datasets.  It will be necessary to have special IDs with update access to those datasets in order to run reorgs and other utilities.  Those special IDs will need to be audited so they are not used for local mode jobs.