Clarity

• 1.  Timebooking to tasks closed after timesheet population

Posted Feb 13, 2017 03:52 PM

Hoping for CA confirmation on observed operation of turning "Open for Time Entry" off on a task, with respect to time entry.  See much discussion, answers regarding what happens when one populates timesheet, but what happens when task is closed to time entry after population?

My expectations are these, based on experience/observation:

• If user populates timesheet with Task A, and then project manager turns off time entry to Task A, CA PPM will let user complete time entry.
    • Financial transactions will be completed on Task A, as turning off financial transaction processing is a project level attribute, not task level 

Basically,

• Tasks populated on timesheet, before closure (in flight), processing will be allowed to complete
    • Nothing new can take flight after closure.

If this is not the case, would expect to see error messages during timesheet submission/approval ("Error-Timesheet contains hours booked to closed task(s)" with no indication of which tasks...) or during transactions processing (errors in Invalid Transaction log).

Can anyone confirm this operation and/or point to documentation on this?  Please, don't point me to Tech Tips on how timesheets get populated - that's not my question and I'm very familiar with those rules (unless they've been updated with "What happens when tasks are closed to time entry after timesheet population...")

• 2.  Re: Timebooking to tasks closed after timesheet population
    Best Answer

Posted Feb 13, 2017 04:29 PM

Your expectation/understanding is the same as mine ; basically all the stuff related to "is this task closed" is only checked at the point that the task is added to the timesheet (population).

• 3.  Re: Timebooking to tasks closed after timesheet population

Posted Feb 14, 2017 07:49 AM

Thank you, David!

• 4.  Re: Timebooking to tasks closed after timesheet population

Posted Feb 13, 2017 06:27 PM

Concur. The phrase I use to explain this to people is 'timesheets always win' meaning, if it makes the timesheet, PPM will take the time regardless of anything else.

• 5.  Re: Timebooking to tasks closed after timesheet population

Posted Feb 14, 2017 07:50 AM

Thank you, Robert!  Wish I could mark more than one answer as correct - but you have credit in my book.