CA Service Management

• 1.  Ca SDM Migration from  version 11.1 to version 14.1

Posted Feb 14, 2017 05:03 AM

Hello,

Need help how to upgrade old server, Unicenter Service Desk version 11.1 to version 14.1

I tried using SQL to export tables content, ca_contact, usp_contact, and using pdm_extraxt

Need help how can I migrate contacts created manually and tickets references.

Thanks in advance.

• 2.  Re: Ca SDM Migration from  version 11.1 to version 14.1

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Feb 14, 2017 05:21 AM

Hi Hassan,

These are the version of SDM which can be used to upgrade to 14.1

CA SDM supports upgrade from r11.2, r12.0, r12.1, r12.5, r12.6, r12.7, and r12.9 for all supported platforms. For Windows, you can upgrade directly from r11.2, r12.0, r12.1, r12.5, r12.6, r12.7, and r12.9.

As you are using R11.1 , you may upgrade first to R11.2 . Then plan your upgrade to 14.1 .

Reference:

https://docops.ca.com/ca-service-management/14-1/en/implementing/implementing-ca-service-management-14-1/step-4-install-or-upgrade/implementing-ca-service-desk-manager/how-to-upgrade-ca-sdm/step1-plan-the-ca-sdm-upgrades

~Vinod.

• 3.  Re: Ca SDM Migration from  version 11.1 to version 14.1

Posted Feb 14, 2017 05:58 AM

Hello Vinod,

Thank you for your feedback.

Old server is using SQL Server 2000, OS is 2003, I guess I need to upgrade forst to SQL 2005 to have version 11.2

I have a question, I have already a fresh v14.1 install, if I upgrade to version 11.2, can I move data to the new server v14.1?

Thanks in advance.

• 4.  Re: Ca SDM Migration from  version 11.1 to version 14.1

Posted Feb 14, 2017 06:07 AM

HI Vinod,()

from 11.2 you will aslo have to run the upgrade on the MDB before you can move to your new 14.1 server ( swing box approach)

Hope this help

/J

• 5.  Re: Ca SDM Migration from  version 11.1 to version 14.1

Posted Feb 14, 2017 06:13 AM

Hi Jerome,

Thank you for you feedback.

How can I upgrade MDB from version 11.2.

I'm asking for this working scenario, correct me please:

1- Upgarde to SQL 2005

2- Upgrade to version 11.2

3- Upgarde MDB (swing box approach) ##please I need more help on how can I plan this step##

4- Can I use fresh server v14.1(Win2KR2 and SQL2012) and move upgraded MDB? ## I don't want to upgarde OS 2003 to 2008/2012

Thanks in advance.

• 6.  Re: Ca SDM Migration from  version 11.1 to version 14.1

Posted Feb 14, 2017 06:44 AM

Here is the link to CA support describing the process for a swing box approach.

the doc refer to 12.7 but the method apply to higher version too.

Yes with this method you will have a fresh 14.1 installed on the OS/SQL of your choice

Hope this help

/J

• 7.  Re: Ca SDM Migration from  version 11.1 to version 14.1

Posted Feb 16, 2017 09:01 AM

Hi Hassan,

All of the approaches mentioned her are correct.  The part that is going to be tough for you is the OS and DB part.  I think what you are going to have to do is first go to 11.2 (on Win2003 / SQL2005),  Then upgrade to maybe say 12.5 or 12.6 in that environment.  Then replicate the 12.5 or 12.6 environment to a new environment running Win2008/SQL2008.  Then upgrade that environment to 14.1.  Then you can either stay on that environment, or replicate your 14.1 environment over to another hardware set running Win2012R2/SQL2012.    Thats really the only supported way to do this because you are so many releases behind.  Something like this is a HUGE project and will take a lot of testing, and a fairly long outage to do when you actually do it in production because you are going to have to go through the migration process multiple times, along with replicating the envionrment at least once, possibly twice - where you have to copy all the attachments, and the database etc. which can take a while.

I would highly recommend engaging CA Services for something like this as they have a lot of experience in migrating much older versions of the product to newer ones.

On another note - what some folks have done in the past is simply start fresh on 14.1 without bringing over any data and starting clean.  What they do in those cases is build out a brand new 14.1 system with the latest patches etc.  Set it up to work the way they want it to, and then take it live on a certain date.  From that date forward, all new tickets are created on the new system.  Then they give folks usually 1 to 3 months to close out everything on the old system.  If the tickets are not closed out on the old system by a certain date, the analyst (or assignee) must re-create those tickets in the new system and continue to work them from there.   Then the old system can have editing rights turned off for all users so that they can only use it to research old tickets but cannot create any new data there.    Just food for thought...

Hope this helps you a bit.

Thanks,

Jon I.

• 8.  Re: Ca SDM Migration from  version 11.1 to version 14.1

Posted Feb 27, 2017 11:58 AM

Hello Jon,

I guess swing box migration will be a complex solution to proceed (more time).

I used SQL queries to backup old contacts to the new server, but I have an issue during authentication, I can see in Service Desk Manager (v14.1) all imported contacts and see there login password (using contact ID as password).

Can you please help me on how to successulfy import users if first time with old password and use the new version.

We can use old system as a backup to check old tickets.

Regards.

• 9.  Re: Ca SDM Migration from  version 11.1 to version 14.1

Posted Feb 27, 2017 12:55 PM

Hi Hassan,

As I explained previously you will need to edit each contact that you imported and make sure it has an appropriate access type.  Additionally, you need to make sure the access types are set to use "PIN" authentication in the new system, which will use the Contact ID field as you mentioned.

Thanks,

Jon

• 10.  Re: Ca SDM Migration from  version 11.1 to version 14.1

Posted Feb 27, 2017 01:15 PM

Dear Jon,

Thank you for your feedback.

May I need to import both ca_contact and ups_contact tables (using sql insertion)?

or only ca_contact and change authentication to PIN for each contact?

Thanks in advance.