DX Unified Infrastructure Management

• 1.  Hub limitations

Posted Feb 14, 2017 06:20 AM

Are there any limitations as to how many robots a single hub can handle ?
    Is it all down to the spec of the hub itself ?

• 2.  Re: Hub limitations

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Feb 14, 2017 07:43 AM

Hello.

There are couple of views.

Technical.

It comes to specs of HUB box and network width in between robots, because HUB and robots uses heartbeat to verify its health status regular basis. Interval can be tuned. When tuning is not sufficient, you get many Robot Inactive Alarms.

License.

HUB has a license key which has the number of robots allowed to connect to HUB.

To verify how many robots connectable (in license), launch HUB GUI > Licensing Information > Licenses in Use

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Yu Ishitani

• 3.  Re: Hub limitations

Posted Feb 14, 2017 08:42 AM

hi Yu Ishitani

thanks for the reply, I did see the license part indicating how man licenses I have used.

But i have 5 hubs and each hub shows i have 2500 licenses available.  But does that mean i can have actually 2500 robots on each hub ?

Each hub has a maximum of 2500

Kind regards
    Paul

• 4.  Re: Hub limitations

Posted Feb 14, 2017 01:26 PM

Hi,

2500 is not ok for one hub. I work for a customer on a 30K servers infrastructure under UIM and we have ~1400 robots on each hub.

Before we had 2500+ robots on each hub but we get to much robots and hubs issue because of that (without talking about net_connect etc..). 

After a lot is depending on our system configuration / network availability.

Best Regards,

Thomas

• 5.  Re: Hub limitations

Posted Apr 25, 2017 06:48 AM

Regarding the license question, it's a total number that the license reflects. UIM doesn't have a way to roll up the total number of robots and distribute that to every hub so each hub can validate the license. Instead the licensing is built like your environment has a single hub and a bunch of robots and CA trusts you not to exceed that limit. So you have to add them all up periodically to make sure - or trust the contents of the CM_NIMBUS_ROBOT table.

The alternative is to get bound licenses for each hub you have and tune the number of robots there but that seems like a lot of work come renewal time.

-Garin

• 6.  Re: Hub limitations

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Feb 14, 2017 05:41 PM

Hi Paul,

It does very much depend more on the amount of throughput rather than the number of robots.

I'm working on a system which has one hub with 2760 robots (license goes to 12000 - but don't go there...) and all is fine because the throughput is only 200 messages per second.  It is a bit of a balancing act as heartbeat interval will come into the equation as well. If i were to reduce the heartbeat to every 3 mins ( on this hub with 2760)  then that would probably bring it down.

Just a few things to bear in mind.

cheers

Rowan

• 7.  Re: Hub limitations
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Feb 14, 2017 07:07 PM

Hello.

Thanks everyone have shared the experience here.

From HUB license point of view, in your key, 2500 is maximum capacity of the robots a HUB can manage.

From HUB scalability point of view, it is a matter of multiple factors affecting and no common benchmark.

It means that 2500 robots in a HUB might not be feasiable in an environment.

- How many probes you have in every robots

- How many and how often NimBUS data generated in every robots

- How fast the connection in between robots and HUB

- How rich hardware specs in HUB box

Regards,

Yu Ishitani