IT Process Automation

• 1.  How to programatically delete a Process.variable?

Posted Feb 14, 2017 12:03 PM

Here's the use case:

I have a process that uses an SRF to send in initial inputs.  They become Process level variables.  But I want some of them to actually be part of a ValueMap.

So I can run a command like follows to put it where I want it:

My_VP = newValueMap();

My_VP.Input_ID = Process.Input_ID;

but now I've got it in 2 places.  How do I delete the original to keep my Datasets clean for troubleshooting long term?

Alternatively,  can I get the original field from the SRF to go directly into MyVP.Input_ID ?

• 2.  Re: How to programatically delete a Process.variable?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Feb 15, 2017 11:48 AM

Hi Brett,

Unfortunately it looks like a declared variable cannot be deleted programatically. This seems to be a java limitation from what I am finding in a google search.

Also you cannot specify a location for SRF variables in the Process.  You can set the variable to null once you are done with it which might help to clean up somewhat and cut down on any confusion.  

Sorry I don't have a better answer for you. 

• 3.  Re: How to programatically delete a Process.variable?

Posted Feb 15, 2017 11:54 AM

Bah Humbug.  =(

Setting it to null doesn't really change anything.  That would just lead me to ask why it was there in the first place.  Ok.  Duplication it is.  Maybe I'll just update the label of the Page the variables are in on the SRF so they are labeled as "Process Inputs" instead of "Page."   Not as ideal but at least it makes it more clear what was an SRF input vs anything else that's being designed afterwards.

• 4.  Re: How to programatically delete a Process.variable?

Posted Feb 15, 2017 02:38 PM

You should always have a page named "Input variables". It's easier to understand for the next guy and even for you

And FYI, as far as i tested, you can add a ValueMap parameter ont the SRF but in my case, Catalog is not able to pull it up when defining a rule. So I'm not sure if you will be able to access it via PAM's webservices.

• 5.  Re: How to programatically delete a Process.variable?

Posted Feb 15, 2017 02:42 PM

Agree on the easier for the next guy.  That's kinda where I'm at.  I AM the next guy and trying to clean it up for both myself and the next next guy.  =)   And yes, the SRF is used from Catalog with an Event Rule Action.  So if I can't make one and have Catalog see it for inputs then it's not going to help me in this case.

• 6.  Re: How to programatically delete a Process.variable?

Posted Feb 15, 2017 03:34 PM

Personnaly, i do not like to pass a lot of value to the SRF. My main process between Catalog and SDM have only two parameters.

We are using hidden fields in catalog to control the PAM process. I collect them in a separate process.