Rally Software

• 1.  Having issues with Custom conditions for custom views in Rally. Rally is improperly applying custom conditions.

Posted Feb 15, 2017 11:50 AM

Trying to make the view display defects that are either assigned to my team/"Project" OR that I am the "Owner" of; in addition to not displaying defects that are Closed and not displayed defects that are in "Deferred" status. 

Conditions are as follows:

1 - Project = My team

2 - Owner = Me

3 - State < Closed

4. Resolution != Deferred to Future Release

My custom condition query is "(1 OR 2) AND 3 AND 4". This query is not properly showing results. Could someone please help me with what I am doing wrong or if the Rally system is not performing correctly?

• 2.  Re: Having issues with Custom conditions for custom views in Rally. Rally is improperly applying custom conditions.

Posted Feb 16, 2017 03:54 AM

Martin,

The parenthesis when combining multiple statements can get a bit complex.  Please see this article in the Help documentation for a bit more discussion on that and it will also assist you with future queries:

Build App Queries | CA Agile Central Help 

For your specific case I think it will need to be something like:

((((Project.Name = "My Team") OR (Owner = "me@company.com")) AND (State < "Closed )) AND (Resolution != "Deferred to Future Release"))

Hope that helps!

Michael

• 3.  Re: Having issues with Custom conditions for custom views in Rally. Rally is improperly applying custom conditions.

Posted Feb 16, 2017 09:40 AM

Hi Michael,

Thanks so much for responding! I tried using the parentheses as you demonstrated in your response, however, Rally auto corrects the statement to "(1 OR 2) AND 3 AND 4", which was the same as what I was entering before. It still does not perform as I would expect it to. Please let me know if you have any other ideas. It seems like Rally is not registering the custom conditions correctly.

• 4.  Re: Having issues with Custom conditions for custom views in Rally. Rally is improperly applying custom conditions.

Posted Feb 16, 2017 09:52 AM

Martin,

My fault, I didn't realize you were creating a view on the Defect page.  I had it in my head you were using a Custom Grid.  Which may actually be a good work around for you until we can look into this for you a bit further.  You should be able to add a Custom Grid app to a page, set it to Defects and enter the query above to show what you would like.

Let me look at the original issue again and let you know if this looks like a bug.

Apologies for the false start.

Michael

• 5.  Re: Having issues with Custom conditions for custom views in Rally. Rally is improperly applying custom conditions.

Posted Feb 16, 2017 01:57 PM

Michael,

Thanks for the tips, but it still doesn't seem to be working correctly. I used the query you suggested, with some slight adjustments and am not getting the results I'm looking for. Here is my edited query:

((((Project.Name = "My Team Name Here") OR (Owner.UserName = "myname@company.com")) AND (State < "Closed")) AND (Resolution != "Deferred to Future Release"))

The issue seems to be arising from the OR condition. Rally isn't accepting OR as a valid option. I created a dummy defect of which I am the owner, but with a Project Name that is another team. The grid app is displaying defects assigned to my team, but will not display the dummy defect I created.

• 6.  Re: Having issues with Custom conditions for custom views in Rally. Rally is improperly applying custom conditions.

Posted Feb 16, 2017 02:34 PM

Never mind, it seems to be working correctly now! Thanks for your help!!

• 7.  Re: Having issues with Custom conditions for custom views in Rally. Rally is improperly applying custom conditions.

Posted Feb 16, 2017 10:35 AM

Martin,

I'll go ahead and open a case for you so we can collect some more information about the results you are seeing so we can rule out scoping issues and anything else.

In my testing, I am getting the results expected when using this query.

Michael