DX Application Performance Management

• 1.  CLWorkstation to MetricsDataService

Posted Feb 15, 2017 01:41 PM

Hi all folks,

in the past we use the CLWorkstation interface/api to retrieve some data from the EMs, but now (with APM 10.5.1) we switched to the new SOAP interface/api (via introscope-web-services/services/MetricsDataService).

My questions, are there some usefull general migration hints and tips available.

Where can I get the values for the "value count" and the "value", "min", "max" from, all the time I try to retrieve some data I get the "value" only.

Thanks for any help,

Lutz

• 2.  Re: CLWorkstation to MetricsDataService

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Feb 16, 2017 08:03 AM

• 3.  Re: CLWorkstation to MetricsDataService

Posted Feb 16, 2017 09:17 AM

Hi Hal German,

I spent some time to check the Tec Docs also, I think the SOAP request API I'm interresting in was never implemented but specified for Introscope 9.5.0, see TEC613492, "9.5 Introscope Webservices API: no support for getExtendedMetricData Operation for the Metrics Data Web Service".

In general I have no problems to handle the SOAP API, I get some data, but I missed some data I got via the CLWorkstation API in the past.

And I missed some general Hints and Tips about the performance tuning for the EM. Sometimes we send a request to an EM and get now answer, but a second SOAP API request works well and retrieve some data.

Thanks for the Tec Doc links,

Lutz

p.s.

https://www.ca.com/us/services-support/ca-support/ca-support-online/knowledge-base-articles.tec613492.html 

• 4.  Re: CLWorkstation to MetricsDataService

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Feb 16, 2017 09:23 AM

Thanks Lutz. I asked others internally to respond. Hopefully they will .

• 5.  Re: CLWorkstation to MetricsDataService

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Feb 17, 2017 03:27 PM

Hi Lutz,

is there a specific reason you want to use the web service? In APM 10.5 we introduced APM SQL as a simple, elegant and more efficient way to query metric data: CA APMSQL Cookbook - CA Application Performance Management - 10.5 - CA Technologies Documentation 

Please give that a try!

Ciao,

Guenter

• 6.  Re: CLWorkstation to MetricsDataService

Posted Feb 21, 2017 01:54 PM

Hi Guenter Grossberger,

yes, I know the new APMSQL API. But the APMSQL API is not available for AIX EMs today (even so, I use it) on the one hand, on the other the APMSQL API is available on systems are using a DB only, but we don't use a DB in general. We use a PostgreSQL DB with some EMs only (with AIX).

That's the reason,

Lutz

• 7.  Re: CLWorkstation to MetricsDataService

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Feb 22, 2017 08:47 AM

Hi Lutz:

Guenter_Grossberger is away this week. I will mention your inquiry to others to try to get an answer.

Thanks

Hal German