CA Service Management

• 1.  AutoFill Group in CA ServiceDesk

Posted Feb 16, 2017 02:00 AM

Within Service Desk the group is autofilled when the category is selected in incidents/requests etc.

Is there a way we can make the group field Readonly but the autofill from the category still works when the category is selected?

The out the box statement:

<PDM_MACRO name=dtlLookup hdr="Group" attr=group evt="onBlur=\\\"detailSyncEditForms(this)\\\"" make_required=yes>

If we change it to:

<PDM_MACRO name=dtlReadonly hdr="Group" attr=group>

The behaviour changes and only when the ticket gets saved does the group field get populated.

If we change it to:

<PDM_MACRO name=dtlLookupReadonly hdr="Group" attr=group >

The behaviour is the same as for a dtlLookup and the field can still be edited

• 2.  Re: AutoFill Group in CA ServiceDesk

Posted Feb 16, 2017 02:15 AM

Hi James,

Why don't you hide the group field in edit mode and only show it in read mode. This way you don't have to worry about seeing whether or not the field gets populated before or after saving. If the intent is to have the field as readonly, why does it matter whether the group is set before or after saving? Just trying to understand what the real requirement or rather challenge is?

Kind Regards,

Brian

• 3.  Re: AutoFill Group in CA ServiceDesk

Posted Feb 16, 2017 02:49 AM

Hi Brian, 

The users will want to see what the default group is before clicking save. It is confusing for them when they see this. . 

The group only renders after clicking save. 

So we want the group to autofill when in edit mode but also take away the ability of the users to edit the group in any way. 

• 4.  Re: AutoFill Group in CA ServiceDesk

Posted Feb 16, 2017 08:50 AM

What is the cumulative patch level applied on your Service Desk environment?

• 5.  Re: AutoFill Group in CA ServiceDesk

Posted Feb 16, 2017 08:51 AM

Hi Guys,  So honestly I dont think this can be done and here is why.  A read only field will only display a value that is stored in the database i believe.  Because the ticket hasnt been saved yet, there is no value stored, thus nothing to display at that point.  Once the ticket is saved, then the value should show up in the readonly field (if its being set by default as per the category).  The reason that it does show when the field is a lookup is because its populated (meaning its written to) after the category is chosen - so its actually "editing" the field (and its not a read only at that point so this shows the value as it can be entered there).  I am honestly not sure how you would accomplish this, not sure its possible.

Thats my 2 cents.

Jon I.

• 6.  Re: AutoFill Group in CA ServiceDesk

Posted Feb 16, 2017 01:30 PM

Hi Jon,

I don't  think your statement is true. Think about the edit mode, the value is populated but nothing yet is saved in the database

In fact an html read only field can display any value but that corresponding value will need to be initialized some how

So that will require to not use the pdm_macro tag, create your own js code to display the field and mostly to modify the  OOB function used on the onChange event for category to pass the value and refresh.

In resume not impossible but some work and unsupported customization for in my opinion not much business added value

My 2 cents,

/J

• 7.  Re: AutoFill Group in CA ServiceDesk

Posted Feb 16, 2017 03:05 PM

You are right Jerome, I agree with you

Regards,

Türker

• 8.  Re: AutoFill Group in CA ServiceDesk

Posted Feb 17, 2017 01:58 AM

Hi James,

In addition to what some of the peers have mentioned, I would like to believe the correct groups are linked\mapped to the correct categories as per consultation with the different stake holders, hence you have opted to go with the 'Area Defaults' functionality as it gives better control. As a result, your Analyst should be more concerned about categorizing the tickets correctly. The rest will be automated and be taken care of in the background. So this should be a matter of explaining the functionality to the Analysts, considering it is just cosmetics rather than a real business requirement or loss of functionality in my humble opinion

Kind Regards,

Brian

• 9.  Re: AutoFill Group in CA ServiceDesk

Posted Feb 17, 2017 02:39 AM

Hi all, 

Thanks everyone for the extensive and useful replies. 

We will in conjunction with the business decide on the best way forward.