Rally Software

• 1.  Creating defects and stories through e-mail

Posted Feb 16, 2017 05:25 PM

Hi,

I have an external system in which users log defects/suggestions. I need to bring these into Rally.

The only action that external system can perform when a defect is created is to trigger an e-mail with relevant content.

Does anyone know if we have the capability to create defects/stories through e-mail? If not any other suggestions?

Thanks

-Srikanth

• 2.  Re: Creating defects and stories through e-mail

Posted Feb 16, 2017 05:34 PM

Hi Srikanth,

I am pretty sure we do not have anything that can parse emails and create artifacts within CA Agile Central. What you could do is use one of our toolkits to write a custom application that would parse the email and send the appropriate REST request to CA Agile Central. Here are a few links to our API documentation.

https://rally1.rallydev.com/slm/doc/webservice/ 

Build Custom Apps | CA Agile Central Help 

CA Agile Central REST Toolkits | CA Agile Central Help 

Let me know if that helps.

Thanks,

Sean Davis

• 3.  Re: Creating defects and stories through e-mail

Posted Feb 16, 2017 05:52 PM

Thank you for the quick response Sean. While I was aware of the concept of Apps, I did not think about these until you mentioned them. However, my knowledge about CA Agile Central has been limited to using what is available. So, please bear with me if I ask a few basic questions.

From the apps I see  available, I am assuming they are running in the context of a user session and they "die" when the user session ends. Is that right? If so, are you aware of ways to have an app running as a daemon in the context of a project? - Or, am I complicating things?

Thanks

-Srikanth

• 4.  Re: Creating defects and stories through e-mail

Posted Feb 16, 2017 06:24 PM

Hi Srikanth,

What I meant was that you would need to create custom code using one of our toolkits to create a custom application that had the ability to receive and parse the emails, then using methods/functions from the toolkit library, send a REST request to our REST API to create the new artifact.  For example, if you choose to use the Java Toolkit, you would need to use the appropriate Java packages to listen for emails, parse the email, then use the CA Java Toolkit package to build a REST request with a JSON payload and send to CA Agile Central. We do not have an existing app that would do this currently.

Thanks,

Sean Davis

• 5.  Re: Creating defects and stories through e-mail
    Best Answer

Posted Feb 17, 2017 02:26 AM

Srikanth,

A long time ago there was a little program created using Ruby called the RallyEmailGateway.  While this is an old program, available as-is and not supported, it may provide a starting point for you if you decide to take the route of building something for this purpose.

Hope that helps.

Michael

• 6.  Re: Creating defects and stories through e-mail

Posted Feb 21, 2017 11:55 AM

Thank you for the responses everyone. I like to RallyEmailGateway option. but, I have found an option in the external system that may help trigger the creation of defects/stories without having to setup another server. Will pursue that option for now.

Thanks

-Srikanth