DX Unified Infrastructure Management

Expand all | Collapse all

Port and IP not assigned to net_connect probe

• 1.  Port and IP not assigned to net_connect probe

Posted Feb 17, 2017 04:55 PM

As mentioned in subject that having issue with net_connect probe does not have port and IP, although its showing port number assigned to probe but in actual no port assigned to probe.

because of this net_connect probe is not working, tried to restart probe, robot but it did not work.

it was working fine and all of sudden it stopped working, when trying to add anything its not resolving the IP into hostname and showing red signal, which shows no connectivity.

when it continued for a long amount of time then checked probe and found this issue.

Please help to resolve this issue and why this issue occured.

Regards,

Manish Sharma

• 2.  Re: Port and IP not assigned to net_connect probe

Posted Feb 17, 2017 04:58 PM

I missed to mention "logs" in the comment "although its showing port number assigned to probe but in actual no port assigned to probe". therefore correct statement was "although its showing port number assigned to probe in logs but in actual no port assigned to probe".

• 3.  Re: Port and IP not assigned to net_connect probe

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Feb 21, 2017 03:51 AM

What version and what OS is the net_connect installed on? 

• 4.  Re: Port and IP not assigned to net_connect probe

Posted Feb 21, 2017 09:19 AM

Hi Marco,

Thanks a lot for your response, OS version of server is WINDOWS Server 2008 R2 and Net_Connect probe version is 3.31.

Also tried with new deployment and it worked for some time, however same issue occurred after some time.

Regards,

Manish Sharma

• 5.  Re: Port and IP not assigned to net_connect probe

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Feb 21, 2017 09:28 AM

try removing the probe completely and delete the probe folder and then redeploy from scratch. does it still fail? If yes, do other probe work fine on that robot? Are you able to open the controller GUI on that robot? If yes, increase the logging on the net_connect probe and on the controller and try to spot on the logs if there is any clue on what is preventing the probe to connect normally

• 6.  Re: Port and IP not assigned to net_connect probe

Posted Feb 21, 2017 10:04 AM

Hi Marco,

I have already tried this and as i mentioned earlier that it worked for some time and all of sudden issue reoccurred (while adding devices it stopped working). 

Everything is fine on HUB apart from this probe, all probes working, we can access HUB also.

unfortunately logs are also not suggesting anything, as i mentioned earlier also that logs showing which port is assigned to this probe although there is no port assigned to probe in IM.

Regards,

Manish Sharma

• 7.  Re: Port and IP not assigned to net_connect probe

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Feb 21, 2017 10:49 AM

Do you have any Anti Virus on the robot? If yes, do you have the same issue if you stop the Antivirus? 

• 8.  Re: Port and IP not assigned to net_connect probe

Posted Feb 21, 2017 11:00 AM

Hi Marco,

I don't think this is related to firewall as all other probes  on this HUBs are working fine and this one getting stopped all of sudden, if there would have been any issue of firewall then none of the probe would work along with HUB.

Please let us know if my view is not correct and you are asking to do this to identify exact issue.

Regards,

Manish Sharma

• 9.  Re: Port and IP not assigned to net_connect probe

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Feb 21, 2017 12:01 PM

Do you have an Antivirus running there? If yes, it would be interesting to know if the probe works fine if you stop the antivirus

• 10.  Re: Port and IP not assigned to net_connect probe

Posted Feb 21, 2017 01:40 PM

Hi Marco,

Issue is still there, please advice what next we can do to rectify it.

Regards,

Manish Sharma

• 11.  Re: Port and IP not assigned to net_connect probe

Posted Feb 21, 2017 05:24 PM

Did you check if there is anything being written to the Windows event log when the probe fails ? May be the Windows event logs will give a clue ?

• 12.  Re: Port and IP not assigned to net_connect probe

Posted Feb 21, 2017 05:29 PM

Hi Phani,

I have also checked both system as well as application logs and did not find anything which could be the reason of this issue.

Regards,

Manish Sharma

• 13.  Re: Port and IP not assigned to net_connect probe

Posted Feb 21, 2017 05:44 PM

In your earlier comments you have noted 

logs showing which port is assigned to this probe although there is no port assigned to probe in IM.

when you run "netstat -nabo" on the server where this probe is running , do you see anything listening on this port and do you see any PID assigned to it?

• 14.  Re: Port and IP not assigned to net_connect probe

Posted Feb 21, 2017 06:06 PM

Hi Phani,

Surprisingly after running this command we found that port not listed in the ports using on server which is showing in logs as assigned to probe, so is it pointing to any issue which needs to be sorted out to rectify this issue.

Regards,

Manish Sharma

• 15.  Re: Port and IP not assigned to net_connect probe

Posted Feb 21, 2017 06:38 PM

Hi Manish,

Few other things to check...

Did you try deploying any other probe on the server like the process or ntservices probe "after" you deployed net_connect probe ? Does the new probes have the PID and port assigned properly and working fine ? Just trying to understand if this issue is specific to net_connect probe or any probe that is being deployed on the server newly

As noted by Marco in the earlier post, please double check the antivirus logs to see if its blocking this probe , I understand the other probes are working fine on the server, but it could be a issue specific to this probe ...so if possible try disabling the AV and try to run the probe or at least add the Nimsoft folder to the exclusions and see if that helps 

I see you noted 

I have already tried this and as i mentioned earlier that it worked for some time and all of sudden issue reoccurred (while adding devices it stopped working)

You need to check the Windows event logs, AV logs and the application logs at the instance when the problem occurred.  

• 16.  Re: Port and IP not assigned to net_connect probe

Posted Feb 22, 2017 10:32 AM

Hi Phani,

Deployed new probe and it got assigned port and PID, also not related to anti virus and checked event logs of both system as well as application and did not find anything.

when i tried to restart the net_connect probe then i found in controller logs of server "Port_unregister: Unregistration of net_connect failed" , so does it have anything which can help us to resolve it.

One more thing want to ask if there is any limit of number of profiles which we can add in probe.

Regards,

Manish Sharma

• 17.  Re: Port and IP not assigned to net_connect probe

Posted Feb 22, 2017 05:38 AM

Hi Manish,

Are there any errors in the controller logs when you deploy the probe or try to start it? 

• 18.  Re: Port and IP not assigned to net_connect probe

Posted Feb 22, 2017 10:17 AM

Hi Mark,

When i restarted the net_connect probe i got this log in controller "Port_unregister: Unregistration of net_connect failed" 

Does this error message help us to identify the root cause of this issue.

Regards,

Manish Sharma

• 19.  Re: Port and IP not assigned to net_connect probe

Posted Feb 22, 2017 10:26 AM

Hi Mark,

One more thing which i want to know that is there any limit of profiles which we can add in the net_connect probe, may be high number of profiles can lead to this issue.

Regards,

Manish Sharma

• 20.  Re: Port and IP not assigned to net_connect probe

Posted Feb 22, 2017 02:37 PM

Hi All,

Thanks a lot for your help and suggestion to resolve this issue, we found that there was one profile which was not configured properly and when we deleted that profile and restarted the probe and it worked.

Regards,

Manish Sharma

• 21.  Re: Port and IP not assigned to net_connect probe

Posted Feb 22, 2017 05:47 PM

Good to know, just out of curiosity what was wrong with the profile ?

• 22.  Re: Port and IP not assigned to net_connect probe

Posted Feb 22, 2017 05:59 PM

Hi Phani,

It was very weird kind of thing, there was one profile which was incomplete and it was showing in probe, so just deleted that profile and restarted the probe and issue got resolved.

Thanks a lot again for your suggestions to resolve this issue.

Regards,

Manish Sharma