Clarity

• 1.  Is it possible to create a virtual field in a sub-object of a custom object from master object?

Posted Feb 20, 2017 04:52 AM

For example,

Object A - Master object

Object B -  Sub object of Object A

Object C - Sub object of Object B

I want to create a virtual attribute in Object C from the attributes present in Object A. While creating a virtual attribute in Object C, I can get the list of attributes present in its immediate master object (Object B in my case.) and not the attributes present in Object A.

Is there any direct provision available in CA ppm to create a virtual field in grand sub-object from master object?

Thanks.

• 2.  Re: Is it possible to create a virtual field in a sub-object of a custom object from master object?

Posted Feb 20, 2017 05:05 AM

Hi

As far as I know, it's not possible. Use a regular field and fill data from A to C using Gel.

Cheers

aurora

• 3.  Re: Is it possible to create a virtual field in a sub-object of a custom object from master object?

Posted Feb 20, 2017 06:21 AM

Thanks Aurora.

• 4.  Re: Is it possible to create a virtual field in a sub-object of a custom object from master object?

Posted Feb 20, 2017 07:09 AM

The benefit of the virtual field is that it is updated every time you look at it. If you use gel when would you popolate it and how would you trigger update?

• 5.  Re: Is it possible to create a virtual field in a sub-object of a custom object from master object?

Posted Feb 20, 2017 09:34 AM

While a direct reference of grand parent object attribute is not possible, you may create virtual of virtual attribute. That is,

- Create a virtual attribute in object B and refer it when creating virtual attribute in object C.

I believe this works. Let me know.

• 6.  Re: Is it possible to create a virtual field in a sub-object of a custom object from master object?

Posted Feb 21, 2017 02:37 AM

What Sridhar suggests here works.. 

• 7.  Re: Is it possible to create a virtual field in a sub-object of a custom object from master object?

Posted Feb 21, 2017 02:52 AM

Hi Sridhar,

Thanks for your reply.

I have followed the same method and it works well. Actually, was just curious if there is any alternative to achieve the same.