CA Service Management

• 1.  CA SAM- Managing License Key Allocation

Posted Feb 21, 2017 05:27 AM

Hello all,

I wanted to understand how are you people managing the License Key Allocation to users in SAM ?

As per my understanding, CA SAM doesn't provide any such feature to map user with the License Key and Let's say even if we split the Effective Licenses into single -single license record and assign requester against each still how would we do the same for Concurrent User License where 5 License Keys are allocated to let's say 20 users?

As a scenario, let's say we have got 20 License Keys for Abbyy Fine Reader. These are few questions:

1. Where do we store these License Keys in SAM linked with License?
    2. How do we assign these License Keys to entitled user?
    3. How do we keep track of what keys are in use and what in store?
    4. How do we track User entitled for Concurrent License Usage?
    5. How do we track the User who are entitled to use some particular Softwares?

Kindly share some knowledge on how you are managing Software Allocation in CA SAM?

Regards,

Sahil

• 2.  Re: CA SAM- Managing License Key Allocation
    Best Answer

Posted Feb 21, 2017 07:41 AM

CA SAM in itself doesn't really provide the granularity level to assign license keys to individual users/devices. The good news is that the CA Service Management - IT Asset Manager Package includes the extra functionality in order to facilitate such use cases by combining the CA SAM functionality with Service Catalog and Asset Portfolio Management functionality:

1. License keys can be stored in CA SAM in Advanced -> License key section of a license record
    2. There would be multiple ways to assign a license key to an entitled user, one approach would be to use Service Catalog in order to track the request for the license key and then either track the license key - user assignment as part of the Service Catalog request object or (and which I would recommend) to track this association inside APM, e.g. by having a Model in APM represent the relevant application(s) covered by the license and then create a custom relationship between the model and the user.
    3. By following 2. above you would lookup such details in the MDB (not in CA SAM), e.g. in APM, and most likely you would facilitate such lookup to happen while fulfilling requests using Service Catalog functionality (reports and forms).
    4. I would suggest to use a similar approach as 2. above.
    5. Reports or ad-hoc lookups based on APM content.

Just some ideas, and I welcome others to chime in...

John