Test Data Manager

• 1.  which is the correct process to masking data??

Posted Feb 22, 2017 09:34 AM

Hi, I would like to know when i use TDM, i need to duplicate the data from de data source to the data target then use FAST DATA MAKER, save a mask on data source then open the mask on data target and run the mask??
    that's the correct process to masking data??
    thanks for your answers.

PD: i thought the process was take data from the data source and sending to the data target but masked

• 2.  Re: which is the correct process to masking data??
    Best Answer

Posted Feb 22, 2017 06:36 PM

Hi Luis,

There are two approaches to masking with regards to which stage the data is masked at:

1. In-place masking:

This is the approach that Fast Data Masker (FDM) uses. The typical scenario is that the production data is copied over to a staging area. FDM is then made to point to this staging database (what you referred to as target) and then it masks the data that resides there. This "masked" data is then copied over to lower testing environments as needed.

2. In-flight masking:

This is what you referred to in your PS. TDM enables you to do this through Datamaker Transformation maps and then GT Subset scripts. You first define a transformation map (Oracle or MSSQL) in Datamaker, create masking functions for the columns you wish to mask. From GT Subset, you will then be able to create "Masked" export scripts. These scripts will perform masking as they export the source data to a dump file. The dump file (which will contain masked data) can then be imported to the target database.

You could pick either approach based on your business needs and feasibility. To learn more about each of these approaches, please contact your CA Account Manager for a demo/walk-through.

Thanks,

Sameer

• 3.  Re: which is the correct process to masking data??

Posted Feb 23, 2017 10:30 AM

Thanks so much sameer for your help.

I have another question please, maybe you can help me. I requested a vm for tdm 88ARQ30029 - CA Agile Requirements Designer 2.x: Optimization and Automation 300, I can't access tdm because i need a serial key, i have to use my own serial key or ca have to give me one??

De: Sameer_Chandragiri 

Enviado el: miércoles, 22 de febrero de 2017 18:37

Para: Luis Alberto Huallpa Torre <luis.huallpa@clarityperu.com>

Asunto: Re:  - Re: which is the correct process to masking data??

<https://communities.ca.com/?et=watches.email.thread> CA Communities

Re: which is the correct process to masking data??

reply from Sameer Chandragiri <https://communities.ca.com/people/Sameer_Chandragiri?et=watches.email.thread>  in DevTest Community - View the full discussion <https://communities.ca.com/message/241960499?commentID=241960499&et=watches.email.thread#comment-241960499>