Service Virtualization

• 1.  How performance will vary after "Responder" step if VS ends?

Posted Feb 22, 2017 10:06 PM

I have created a VS using RR pair and after "Responder" step I have ended the test instead of going to "HTTP Listener " step. Basically what is the difference between these 2 scenraios.

1) Responder--> goto HTTP Listener step

2) Responder--> End the test (I am not aborting)

After Responder step VS is getting ended and if there is another request then VS is consuming the request, sending the response and ending the flow.And repeats the above process. Will there be any impact on performance or response time.

• 2.  Re: How performance will vary after "Responder" step if VS ends?
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Feb 23, 2017 11:05 AM

From a best practice point of view, it is not advisable to branch a virtual service to “end the test” after a response is sent.  Ending the test rather than looping back to the LISTEN step in a VSM will create unnecessary overhead inside the VSE.  For example, if you deploy the service with “auto restart”, part of this overhead will be incurred to restart the service because you branched to ‘End the Test’.  In a performance test scenario, this will be extremely detrimental as you are forcing the VSE to incur overhead due to a bad service design.  The reason for ending a test, with regard to virtual services, is to cause some type of notification that the service is failing due to an error. i.e., You want someone to review the error.

Thanks

Shiney.  

• 3.  Re: How performance will vary after "Responder" step if VS ends?

Posted Feb 23, 2017 11:11 AM

Hi,

This is an unusual usage model - and I am curious what it is that you are trying to achieve here. Is there a specific reason that you are configuring your model to behave in this way?

Dave.