IDMS

• 1.  Loop in IDMSIN1 ?

Posted Feb 23, 2017 08:24 PM
      |   view attached

We have a COBOL batch-autostatus program running under the CV that appears to be looping on the call to IDMSIN1 within the IDMS-STATUS-LOOP paragraph. The following output is observed:

PROGRAM NAME ------             
    ERROR STATUS ------ 0326        
    ERROR RECORD ------ DLNTAX      
    ERROR SET --------- CALC        
    ERROR AREA -------- DLNTAX-AREA
    LAST GOOD RECORD --             
    LAST GOOD AREA ---- MULT-AREA   

with the last line - which appears to be the 'DISPLAY SSC-STATUS-LABEL '--- ' SSC-STATUS-VALUE' statement near the end of the IDMS-STATUS-LOOP routine - being displayed until the job gets a S722 abend.

The 'LAST DBKEY -------- ', 'LAST DBKEY HEX ---- ', etc. lines that normally appear after the 'LAST GOOD AREA ---- ' line don't appear anywhere in the output, which makes us think that the condition(s) in IDMSIN1 that 'allows' the code to proceed past the 'DISPLAY SSC-STATUS-LABEL '--- ' SSC-STATUS-VALUE' statement is never 'satisfied' & that the value for SSC-IN01-REQ-RETURN never exceeds 0 which concludes the 'perform IDMS-STATUS-LOOP until SSC-IN01-REQ-RETURN > 0.' statement. The developer insists that this worked prior to release 19.0 (we've been running 19.0 since 8/2016 & haven't had this problem before or currently with any other programs), but I have no way to verify that.

We have modified the IDMS-STATUS routine to use paragraphs vs. a section due to the way a vast majority of our customers have coded their programs, but the changes appear to properly emulate the 'canned' version of IDMS-STATUS. I've attached our version of IDMS-STATUS along with the user routine that is called when an IDMS error has occurred & it in turn calls IDMS-STATUS.

My question - I apologize for the length of the post - has anyone else had this problem or have any suggestions as to what the cause may be? Thanks for your time & any assistance, I appreciate it.

Attachment(s)

• 2.  Re: Loop in IDMSIN1 ?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Feb 27, 2017 12:17 AM

There are no reports of loops in the call to IDMSIN1.
    IDMSIN1 just formats the DBKEY, page group, Radix and DML sequence and returns it to the COBOL program as a character string for display in the IDMS-STATUS section. On the last line it sets the return code to 4.
    Firstly I would try recompiling it with the default IDMS-STATUS versions 11, 13 or 14 depending on the mode and see if that works.

• 3.  Re: Loop in IDMSIN1 ?

Posted Mar 01, 2017 12:01 PM

With the little snippet you posted it looks like you could potentially be issuing a finish after you have lost your run-unit.  I have seen user-inflicted error status loops before.  We have one around here I found that I believe just pure luck has prevented us from having bad situations with. 

• 4.  Re: Loop in IDMSIN1 ?

Posted Mar 17, 2017 08:08 PM

Thanks to those who responded - the cause has been determined to be due to a 3rd party product. I won't mention the product here, but if you would like more information, please send me an email - marshall.fuqua@iowa.gov.