Test Data Manager

Expand all | Collapse all

Is it possible to upgrade from TDM 3.1.1 to TDM 4.0 right away? or do I have to do all the previous versions step by step? What about the Repository?

• 1.  Is it possible to upgrade from TDM 3.1.1 to TDM 4.0 right away? or do I have to do all the previous versions step by step? What about the Repository?

Posted Feb 27, 2017 03:03 AM

Questions about upgrading TDM in general.

• 2.  Re: Is it possible to upgrade from TDM 3.1.1 to TDM 4.0 right away? or do I have to do all the previous versions step by step? What about the Repository?
    Best Answer

Posted Feb 27, 2017 08:57 AM

Hi Sven, 

No, you will not be able to upgrade directly from TDM 3.1 to TDM 4.0.

The documentation describes the upgrade path you will need to take:

Upgrade Product Components - CA Test Data Manager - 4.0 - CA Technologies Documentation 

The following upgrade paths are supported:

• 3.1.1 to 3.1.2
    • 3.1.2 to 3.1.3
    • 3.1.3 to 3.2
    • 3.1.3 and 3.2 to 3.2.1
    • 3.1.3 and 3.2.1 to 3.2.2
    • 3.1.3 and 3.2.2 to 3.5
    • 3.2.2 and 3.5 to 3.6
    • 3.5 and 3.6 to 3.8
    • 3.6 and 3.8 to 4.0

As far as the repository goes, you just need to again follow the documentation:

Upgrade Product Components - CA Test Data Manager - 4.0 - CA Technologies Documentation 

Upgrade the Repository

After the CA Test Data Manager upgrade completes, upgrade the repository by renaming the rep.xml file, performing the upgrade, and renaming the file again.

Note: The rep.xml lets you store repository credentials so you do not have to connect every time. If you do not use a rep.xml file, you can skip the steps related to the file.

1. Launch Datamaker using the Desktop icon or through the file system (TDM_HOME\Grid-Tools\GTDatamaker\gtdatamaker.exe).
      The following message appears:

DB version specified in database (3.2E) is invalid. 

This version of the software can work with DB version 3.2G only. 

You are connecting with pre-distributed details (rep.xml) - no upgrade is allowed. 

Please contact support.

This message means that you have to upgrade the repository before proceeding.

2. Navigate to the TDM_HOME\Grid-Tools\GTDatamaker directory, and rename the rep.xml file to rep-old.xml.
    3. From the Windows Explorer dialog, type %appdata% into the file path and select the Grid-Tools folder in the results. Rename the rep.xml to rep-old.xml in this folder. If the rep.xml file does not exist at this location, skip to step 4.
    4. Launch Datamaker again.
      The Test Data Repository log in for CA Test Data Manager dialog opens. It includes the repository profile that you selected in the last installation.
    5. Click the green database connection button.
      The following message appears:

Test Data Repository version specified in database (3.2E) is invalid. 

This version of the software can work with Test Data Repository versions 3.2G and above only. 

In order to run the upgrade you will need to know the user name and password of a user in the ADMIN group. 

Would you like to attempt an upgrade?

Note that if you do not see this message, it is most likely that the user that installed the product is not performing the upgrade. If this is the case, you will need to create a new repository profile and provide the appropriate connection details. Check the entry for the new profile and click the green database connection button. You should then see the above message.

6. Click Yes.
      The login page opens.
    7. Log in with administrator credentials.
      The CA Test Data Manager - Datamaker Repository Schema - Updates Required message opens.
    8. Click Yes.
      The main Datamaker window opens.
    9. Select Settings, Enter Activation Key.
    10. Enter the activation key that you received from you license request, and click the Save button.
      A confirmation opens. Click OK, and you should see a full listing of all connection profiles.
    11. Close Datamaker.
    12. Rename the rep-old.xml files to rep.xml in the TDM_HOME\Grid-Tools\GTDatamaker and %appdata%\Grid-Tools directories.
    13. Launch Datamaker again.
      You should be able to connect successfully to any connection profile.
    14. Repeat the process described in Perform Repository Maintenance to verify that no further repository maintenance is required.
      The upgrade is complete.

Best regards,

Taylor

• 3.  Re: Is it possible to upgrade from TDM 3.1.1 to TDM 4.0 right away? or do I have to do all the previous versions step by step? What about the Repository?

Posted Feb 28, 2017 02:59 AM

Hi Taylor

Where can I find versions 3.1.2 and 3.1.3? I only have version 3.2 available in the download center…

Thanks for your support.

Kind regards,

//Sven

• 4.  Re: Is it possible to upgrade from TDM 3.1.1 to TDM 4.0 right away? or do I have to do all the previous versions step by step? What about the Repository?

Posted Feb 28, 2017 08:30 AM

Hi Sven, 

They may have been removed from the CA download site because of how old they are.

I see you have opened a support case. Please reach out to your CA Account Manager so that they can provide you with a resource from CA Pre-sales or Services to help you with this extensive upgrade process and provide you with the missing TDM versions. We highly suggest using Services for upgrades like this so that they can work with you one on one and implement specific solutions for your unique environment. They will be able to help you, as this is out of scope for the TDM support team.

If you do not know who your account manager is, please call CA Customer Care at one of these numbers Contact CA Support - CA Technologies and they will be able to tell you.

Best regards,

Taylor

• 5.  Re: Is it possible to upgrade from TDM 3.1.1 to TDM 4.0 right away? or do I have to do all the previous versions step by step? What about the Repository?

Posted Feb 28, 2017 08:49 AM

Hi Sven,

You should still be able to download version 3.1.2 assuming you have access to the product "CA Test Data Manager for Data Generation and Test Matching" from the Download site.

For that specific product, please download release 3.2 Gen level 0001. Under this you will find the 3.1.2 download (

GEN09114428E.zip), as well as 3.2.1 (GEN01125722E.zip).

We strongly recommend reaching out to your CA Account Manager so they can have a SME help you with this upgrade process.

Thanks,

Sameer