Service Virtualization

• 1.  how to use DevTest internal database ?

Posted Feb 28, 2017 01:27 AM

how to use DevTest internal database ?

• 2.  Re: how to use DevTest internal database ?

Posted Feb 28, 2017 07:46 AM

By DevTest internal database, I assume you are referring to the Derby database that ships with the DevTest product.  CA provides this instance of Derby to assist customers during the initial installation and usage of DevTest. This database is not designed nor recommended for long term usage.  

CA advises customers to switch to a supported Enterprise DBMS package either during the installation procedure or as soon as possible after installation.  

If your question refers to how to extend the databases maintained inside Derby, those actions are performed as they would be for any other DBMS.  However, I would recommend against adding new tables or altering existing tables in the OOTB Derby databases as you could potentially break the product or create issues when migrating from one release to another.

• 3.  Re: how to use DevTest internal database ?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Feb 28, 2017 10:45 AM

I agree with Joel. Adding new tables or altering existing ones may impact the functionality. However, if you would like to  query and view the data, you can connect to the internal derby instance using any DB client software, like SQuirreL SQL Client and query the tables. 

• 4.  Re: how to use DevTest internal database ?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Mar 01, 2017 08:00 AM

Agree with Joel, the Derby database will not be supported if manually altered outside of DevTest.  The Derby database is for demo purposes only to verify the components out of the box.  Once testing is started you will have to go to a supported external database.

• 5.  Re: how to use DevTest internal database ?
    Best Answer

Posted Mar 02, 2017 04:46 AM

To add to all of the correct comments above, if the product database is altered CA Product Support will not be able to assist with any database related issues.

Since a new, unaltered, schema would be required when investigating an issue, there is the potential for data loss.

We therefore recommend that no changes be made to the database other than those made by the product or on direct instruction from CA Support. 

• 6.  Re: how to use DevTest internal database ?

Posted Mar 03, 2017 02:54 AM

how can I query internal derby database ?  Also is there any way to find out if any enterprise database are used in workstation , if there is no access to enterprise Lisa server?

• 7.  Re: how to use DevTest internal database ?

Posted Mar 03, 2017 08:58 AM

Direct access to the DevTest database is not supported. If I understand your second question correctly, it is expected that the workstation be able to access the enterprise database. In all but the most recent releases is is a requirement.