Clarity

• 1.  Copy template WBS into project via process

Posted Feb 28, 2017 06:51 PM

Hi,
    I am creating a "project kick-off master process" based on the project object that automates several administrative steps that are taken each time a project is kicked off:
    1 - Updating Work Status to Active

2 - Populating the project plan with our standard tasks which reside in a template ("Template A")
    3 - Updating Stage
    4 - Taking a baseline

I'm trigging to figure out how to accomplish #2. In order to make the "Copy WBS from template" system action available, I need to associate the process with Template A. However, doing that seems to mean that my process can only run on the Template A record (rather than copying from the template to a project). Logically I can't see a good reason why it would be designed that way, but I also can't get it to work, so I might be missing something.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
    Clare

• 2.  Re: Copy template WBS into project via process

Posted Mar 01, 2017 02:19 AM

One option could be to query the data from the template and and XOG in the results. That would allow to execute the process with a job.

• 3.  Re: Copy template WBS into project via process

Posted Mar 01, 2017 02:09 PM

I'm trying to figure how this would work, Martti.

A process that triggers on project create? Query new project to get the template on which the project is based, then xog out relevant components and items (tasks, milestones, allocations, whatever?) from the template, modify the XOG output to point the relevant bits to the newly-created project, then XOG back in?

• 4.  Re: Copy template WBS into project via process

Posted Mar 01, 2017 04:37 PM

We have similar processes (1 for each template with Start Options based on custom attribute to identify which template should be used) that copy over the template's WBS for new projects.  The processes run on the creation of any project which meets the Start Options and not on the template itself.

• 5.  Re: Copy template WBS into project via process

Posted Jan 17, 2018 05:13 PM

How to select a particular template while conversion?

• 6.  Re: Copy template WBS into project via process

Posted Jan 18, 2018 08:55 AM

Associate each template you want to use as an object with a process set to start on project create.  You would then use the Start Options of your processes to determine which process is started and, therefore, which template is selected when a new project is created.