Rally Software

Expand all | Collapse all

Which defects appear in the backlog, and when do items appear at the top?

• 1.  Which defects appear in the backlog, and when do items appear at the top?

Posted Mar 06, 2017 10:53 AM

Two-part question about the Backlog page. First, which defects appear in the list on the Backlog page? It seems like there is an inherent filter but I don't understand what it is. We have some "production" defects that are attached to a placeholder story, and we have some defects that are stand-alone. And we also have defects on in-progress stories. Which of these defects appear in the Backlog? Is there an inherent filter based on defect status, or release/iteration?

Second, when stories and defects first appear on the backlog, what rank do they have? We have our backlog sorted by rank. Normally, new stories and defects seem to appear at the bottom of the list. But occasionally stories seem to appear at the top of the ranked list. Why would a new story appear at the top of the backlog ranking?

thanks

- Mark

• 2.  Re: Which defects appear in the backlog, and when do items appear at the top?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Mar 06, 2017 04:27 PM

Hello Mark,

To answer your first question. The Backlog page is a prioritized list of user stories, defects, and defect suites that have not yet been scheduled into a release or iteration.

To answer your 2nd question.

Usually new stories are added to the top of the list and then can re-ranked based on priority.

I have included a help link that explains how the backlog page works.

Build Your Backlog | CA Agile Central Help 

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Thank you,

Christian Maldoff