CA Service Management

• 1.  Reg Service desk

Posted Mar 07, 2017 01:40 AM

Hi Team,

This is regarding the Tickets that has to be assigned in the Round Robin algorithm.

Since the tickets distribution must be assigned properly.

Thanks

Shwetha

• 2.  Re: Reg Service desk

Posted Mar 07, 2017 08:03 AM

Hi Shwetha - I dont think it does a specific "round-robin" type of assignment, but there are some options for Auto Assignment that may help.  Please take a look at the following section of the documentation:

Auto Assignment - CA Service Management - 14.1 - CA Technologies Documentation 

Hope this helps,

Thanks,

Jon I.

• 3.  Re: Reg Service desk

Posted Oct 19, 2017 01:24 PM

Hey Jon,

Is it possible to to configure the auto assignment to use more of a robin robin algorithm.

I.e. Is their a way to modify auto assignment of active tickets assignment to number of resolved tickets, or ticket assignment history per time period?

Thanks 

Will

• 4.  Re: Reg Service desk

Posted Oct 19, 2017 01:42 PM

Hi Will,

I dont think it will do a "round robin" in the true sense, BUT, it does have the capability to assign based on workshift and workload of available assignees.  We have some pretty good documentation here on these pages:

How Auto Assignment Assigns Tickets - CA Service Management - 14.1 - CA Technologies Documentation 

How Auto Assignment Assigns Tickets - Flow Diagram - CA Service Management - 14.1 - CA Technologies Documentation 

How to Begin Implementing Auto Assignment - CA Service Management - 14.1 - CA Technologies Documentation 

The information there should give you an idea of the available options.

Thanks,

Jon I.

• 5.  Re: Reg Service desk

Posted Oct 19, 2017 01:52 PM

Jon,

Thanks for the quick response, but from the documentation I didn’t really see any way to customize to match a round robin sense.

The current ticket auto assignment in CA servicedesk , penalizes analysts who work more tickets.

i.e. Currently auto assignment is configured where if group of 2 users receive 10 tickets they would each be assign 5 tickets a piece. If user 1 transfers those 5 tickets to another group and another 10 tickets are assigned to that group after the transfer User 1 would get all of the new 10 tickets.

I was looking for a way to customize the auto assignment in the above example to distribute tickets evenly among the two users in the group where they both receive 10 tickets?

William Drain | Sr Service Desk Tools Administrator, ETP Service Desks

william.drain@sgws.com | Office: 972-383-6717

Southern Glazer’s Wine & Spirits | Enterprise Technology Partners | Dallas, TX 75380

National Service Desk: 844.7.ETP HLP (844.738.7457) | NationalServiceDesk@sgws.com<mailto:NationalServiceDesk@sgws.com>

• 6.  Re: Reg Service desk

Posted Oct 19, 2017 02:07 PM

I dont think that its possible to do that at this point as the product doesnt really allow for any customization around auto-assignment. But for your example, when that second set of 10 tickets came in, user 1 would most likely get 8 tickets and user 2 would get the other 2 tickets.  I dont think it would give all 10 tickets to user 1.  It doesnt assign them in batches - it assigns them individually.

I havent done a ton of testing with this - but it should allow you to get close to what you want.

• 7.  Re: Reg Service desk

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Oct 19, 2017 02:21 PM

Shwetha, Round Robin Algorithm is not current implemented in SDM out of box. There is no configurable way for do this. However, like I said before, SDM is so flexible it can do almost everything you want, if you are willing to write your

own code to implement your business logic, in this case Round Robin Algorithm. For example, you can write custom

notification method that when a ticket is created, the custom script is triggered to run to do the round robin assignment.

And this custom notification method can be written in any program language and platform you choose. Take a look at

Modify Notification Methods - CA Service Management - 14.1 - CA Technologies Documentation 

Thanks _Chi 

• 8.  Re: Reg Service desk

Posted Oct 19, 2017 02:45 PM

Hey Chi,

Thanks a lot. I will check it out!

William Drain | Sr Service Desk Tools Administrator, ETP Service Desks

william.drain@sgws.com | Office: 972-383-6717

Southern Glazer’s Wine & Spirits | Enterprise Technology Partners | Dallas, TX 75380

National Service Desk: 844.7.ETP HLP (844.738.7457) | NationalServiceDesk@sgws.com<mailto:NationalServiceDesk@sgws.com>

• 9.  Re: Reg Service desk

Posted Oct 19, 2017 04:20 PM

Thanks Chi_Chen!

@wdrain - Chi's suggestion will probably work as well.  As Chi mentioned if you are willing to write code, you can get really creative with things. However, I would just give you a word of caution that it can sometimes make things difficult to maintain going forward, especially through patching and upgrades which can break custom code.  Just a word of advice from experience

But def. test it out and have some fun with it to see if you can get it to do what you want.

Have a great week and weekend!