DX NetOps

• 1.  What is the added value of VNA for Spectrum (no Performance manager) for Cisco ACI?

Posted Mar 07, 2017 01:42 PM

Hello all,

Is it not possible to monitor all leaf and spines switches within an ACI fabric via SNMP? As far as I can tell, Spectrum provides only fault monitoring for the fabric. Is there any SNMP monitoring that can be done without having to install VNA? Is there any other added value other than fault monitoring?

Thanks!

• 2.  Re: What is the added value of VNA for Spectrum (no Performance manager) for Cisco ACI?
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Mar 07, 2017 09:42 PM

Hello lilah

You are correct. When it comes to just monitoring about the ACI Fabric then you can simply do without VNA. The ACI leaf and spine network is nothing but the Cisco Nexus devices. 

However the ACI Infrastructure consist of more than your this. The Application Network Profile, Contracts, End Points, End point groups, etc. These components are not visible via SNMP. And the APIC controller holds all the information and details about the same. And this is where VNA adds significant value and gets all those information and relationships to Spectrum. 

I will be more than happy to do a 1-1 session with you on the value addition we bring for Cisco ACI monitoring. Also will give me an opportunity to understand your implementation of Cisco ACI. 

Let me know if this works for you. 

Thanks,

Nagesh 

• 3.  Re: What is the added value of VNA for Spectrum (no Performance manager) for Cisco ACI?

Posted Mar 08, 2017 02:52 AM

I'll pass that along, thanks

Is VNA free if you have licensed Spectrum?

• 4.  Re: What is the added value of VNA for Spectrum (no Performance manager) for Cisco ACI?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Mar 08, 2017 06:27 AM

Hello lilah

You can get in touch with your accounts team and they will be able to help you with the licensing information on CA VNA. 

Thanks,

Nagesh