CA Service Management

• 1.  How to delete incident area and its sub categories in CA service desk manager 12.7 

Posted Mar 08, 2017 11:21 AM

I want to delete the some incident areas and its sub categories in CA service desk manager 12.7. I am unable to find any clue.

regards 

Talha

• 2.  Re: How to delete incident area and its sub categories in CA service desk manager 12.7 

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Mar 08, 2017 11:42 AM

Talha, from UI you can't delete an area and its subcategories. In fact, I don't think it is a good idea to delete any area/category as that would leave some existing objects pointing to nowhere if those objects point to the area/category

before. What is recommended is to make them inactive. If you have a few, you can do this one by one from web interface; if you have a lot, you could consider using pdm_extract and pdm_load. Thanks _Chi

• 3.  Re: How to delete incident area and its sub categories in CA service desk manager 12.7 

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Mar 08, 2017 12:26 PM

The following documentation has more information about the PDM commands

CA SDM PDM Database Commands - CA Service Management - 14.1 - CA Technologies Documentation 

Even though the documentation is for CA SDM 14.1, it is still applicable for CA SDM 12.7

• 4.  Re: How to delete incident area and its sub categories in CA service desk manager 12.7 

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Mar 08, 2017 01:16 PM

We STRONGLY advise against removing categories from SDM, even using pdm_extract/load.  The reason is due to data integrity issues in that there will be multiple tables that link to the category table and you would have to remove such references as well.  The removal of the categories is unsupported.  Our recommendation is to mark the given category as "Inactive" and would prevent further usage in the SDM application.

Incidentally, you mentioned SDM 12.7 as your install.  Please keep in mind that this install is also no longer supported, per this link:

CA Service Desk Manager and Unicenter Service Desk 12.7, CA Service Desk Manager and Unicenter Service Desk 12.6 End-of-…